Visa for USC Spouse for China?

Hi everyone!

As always, thank you everyone for all of your immense help in navigating the challenges associated with immigration and international marriage!

I wasn’t sure if I should post this in “The Middle Kingdom” or here, but I’m wondering is there a visa as a spouse if a Chinese National that I could obtain that would allow me to travel to China during this whole Covid-19 thing?  My wife really wants to go see her family and I don’t blame her! It’s been over a year of this thing!

On another note, is there a visa for traveling to China in general specifically for spouse of Chinese nationals?

Thanks again for the help!

6 hours ago, homerjay1011 said:

Hi everyone!

As always, thank you everyone for all of your immense help in navigating the challenges associated with immigration and international marriage!

I wasn’t sure if I should post this in “The Middle Kingdom” or here, but I’m wondering is there a visa as a spouse if a Chinese National that I could obtain that would allow me to travel to China during this whole Covid-19 thing?  My wife really wants to go see her family and I don’t blame her! It’s been over a year of this thing!

On another note, is there a visa for traveling to China in general specifically for spouse of Chinese nationals?

Thanks again for the help!

Normally a Q or even tourist visa would work but those aren't being issued now, and all existing visas in those categories were suspended. I believe the only real way for a foreigner to enter China would be through (1) a work visa or (2) an existing residence permit. In other words, I don't think you have any options. Also, there's still a 2+1 week quarantine, so even if your wife goes on her own, 3 weeks of her trip will be burned sitting in a hotel alone at her expense.

Edited by Barfus (see edit history)

You would ask for a "family reunion" visa at the consulate, but like Barfus says, it's not at all certain that you would get one.

Q1 is a visa which allows entry for 30 days for applying to the PSB for a family reunion residence permit.

Q2 is for temporary visits up to 6 months, with up to 10 years validity.

1 hour ago, homerjay1011 said:

I don’t know if we’ll end up with access to a Chinese vaccine here, but that is still something!

Plus the article you linked in addition to that indicates that travel might be more feasible come October anyway, which is also really hopeful!!

There's also talk that as countries "accept" the Chinese vaccine, then China will reciprocate and "accept" foreign vaccines like Pfizer or J&J. We're starting to think that a quick December 2021 trip to China may not be totally impossible anymore... assuming China does away with the mandatory quarantine of course.

Just saw another article that said China will allow travel from 30 or so countries, if the traveler can show proof of having received a Chinese vaccine. You still need to show a negative covid test prior to boarding, and as of now the current quarantine rules will still be in effect, which means traveling for us is a no-go.

Edit: source https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/17/china-to-allow-foreign-visitors-who-have-had-chinese-made-vaccine

Edited by Barfus (see edit history)