refused before we could turn in the final docs. Why ? What's next

We have been trying to get my wife her green card. I have done everything ever asked. We ran into a snag when it came time to turn in the documents just before the interview. The website told us to go here and click the link, but when we went there. There was no link. So we did some digging and found out we can drop them off at a bank. Alright. So we did this today. Before my wife was able to get home from the bank, we got a message telling us that they refused her application.

So without all my documents, why were we refused ? We've been married a year now. Is that a problem ? I just don't understand the requirements. Would it be best if we tried again or should we just apply for a travel visa and then try again in the US ?

There is no information in what you posted that would give anyone a clue as to why you were rejected, or what you submitted, or what you were even applying for.

What did the rejection message tell you?

The only advice I can offer based on what you said is to NOT try to adjust status after traveling to the US on a non-immigrant visa.

My guess is that you would best contact a lawyer who can take a look at your paperwork and tell you how best to proceed.