from the Sixth Tone

A student posted a digital suicide note. Thousands replied, shedding light on the lives of millions of Chinese living with depression.
http://image5.sixthtone.com/image/5/20/206.jpg

SHANGHAI — On March 18, 2012, Ma Jie published her final post on social media platform Weibo. “I have depression, so I’ll just go die,” the message read. “There’s no important reason, and it’s not a big deal that I’m leaving. Bye-bye!”
The next day, local police in the eastern city of Nanjing confirmed that the young student had killed herself. Yet Ma’s Weibo feed would experience an unexpected afterlife.

20 years ago two Psychologists were doing work in China. Mostly (99%) on women because at that time the one-child policy was still in effect and they wanted to see the effects of this. One of them wanted a Chinese wife so badly but could not find even one that did not have some kind of mental illness. He even offered a $5,000 reward for anyone that could present a woman that did not have some kind of mental illness to him. He left 15 years late with no wife. The two of them compiled what amounted to a book online about their work and were going to write the book when they got back to the U. S. I saw so much of it in every Chinese woman that I ever knew. It was simply fantastic. However, as I followed him back to the US he said that he wrote everything on a Chinese program and could not find a program that would translate or recognize the characters in English. I don't know what the end of the story is as I lost track of him and have never found him again.

That is a short story of their quest. I am so glad that the subject has finally come to light in China because. as it even said here. such people were shunned or even locked up for the rest of their lives thinking they were just crazy. The doctors just didn't know. I think about ole brother Charles sometimes when I think of these two guys but had lost them and their work and I could not point him to them and their work. I think it would have helped somewhat of not a lot.

• Like 1