Now that we see the end is near for the quarantine in Wuhan, things are starting to loosen up. We are still completely locked down but I see many many more cars leaving our compound now. Some of the buses are supposed to be starting up today too. But the grocery stores around us are still closed but I hear some of the bigger ones closer to the center of town are opening. Now I see on the news last night (channel 79 has English) that you need to have a green QR code to get on the buses. And residents can get a QR code through Alibiba I think. But there is no mention of us stuck here with a tourist visa who are not residents. Is there any way we can get a QR code? Also since we went into lockdown the night we got here, I never had time to get a Chinese sim card for my iPhone. So I don't have a phone that works outside of the range of the apartment. Any advice on what we can do? Any help would be appreciated

Marty

The green QR code means that you've been tested for the coronavirus, and found clear. You should be able to get one if you can find out which hospital to go to to get tested - and, of course, are able to make it there.

You can download WeChat from the Google Play Store, but, yes I would think you may need a Chinese SIM card in order to use the QR code.

Looks like it's Alipay, and simply indicates whether you've been quarantined or not.

In Coronavirus Fight, China Gives Citizens a Color Code, With Red Flags

The Alipay Health Code, as China’s official news media has called the system, was first introduced in the eastern city of Hangzhou — a project by the local government with the help of Ant Financial, a sister company of the e-commerce giant Alibaba.
People in China sign up through Ant’s popular wallet app, Alipay, and are assigned a color code — green, yellow or red — that indicates their health status. The system is already in use in 200 cities and is being rolled out nationwide, Ant says.
Neither the company nor Chinese officials have explained in detail how the system classifies people. That has caused fear and bewilderment among those who are ordered to isolate themselves and have no idea why.

I believe Alipay is also available in the Play Store, and should be easy enough to sign up for, even without a bank account.

They should also ba available through Apple.

Google translate version of that form

BackGuangxi Health Code Close Real Name Authentication Identified as close contacts? Have you ever had fever, fatigue, dry cough, shortness of breath, respiratory symptoms within 14 days? Have your family members been diagnosed with new coronary pneumonia, suspected patients, or confirmed close contacts within 14 days? Are you unsure if you have a history of contact with a newly diagnosed patient with new coronary pneumonia, a suspected patient, or someone who has been confirmed to be in close contact within 14 days? Are you unsure whether you have been to an area with a high incidence of epidemics such as Hubei within 14 days, or have a history of contact with people in the area? Do you live in Guangxi for 14 consecutive days? Are you exposed to patients with fever and / or respiratory symptoms within 14 days? Has your community reported any new cases of new pneumonia within 14 days? Are you unsure if you have taken antipyretics and cold medicines within 14 days? Have you been tested for a new coronavirus in the past 14 days? Is your residential address within the next 14 days? Please fill in the detailed address. Do you have any immigration records in the last month? Are you the last flight / ticket number you entered into Gui, the seat temperature of your most recent flight / ticket number you entered? I solemnly promise: I will report to the residence (village) committee of the place of residence or the unit immediately after I arrive at the destination. During the epidemic, they promised not to go out except at work and to participate in dinner parties. I have read the options listed in this declaration card to ensure that the above declaration is true and accurate. If false declaration content, is willing to bear the corresponding legal responsibility. In order to improve the effectiveness of the inquiry service, we agree to authorize the Guangxi Digital Government Integrated Platform operated by the Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region Government to use the registered information. The platform promises to protect your personal information security in strict accordance with regulations. ******* No commission

Thanks for all the information -- so I downloaded alipay. Tried to sign up but they asked for my Chinese phone number --- well now I have to try and see if Liwen can sign up on her Chinese phone, go out, and then find a store open near here that sells sim cards. I know where one is but so many stores were closed who knows what is open now. Will keep you informed on the progress. We are still not allowed out yet but when we are, will see what we can do.

• Like 1

Wish you luck Doc.

Doc, Me too. Take care of yourselves. How did you make out the QR stamp and sim card?. Sim cards are maybe available at almost any phone store I would think. Also perhaps you could have it either mailed or delivered to your compound. I have gotten my sim cards either at the airport or I got by current one when i bought a mobile phone.in Nanning. I am curious , when you talk about your compound, is that a enclosed or gated area? What prevents you from physically leaving your compound? Take care. Danb

I usually get my sim card shortly after I arrive. But this year was different. The QR stamp will not work -- found out Liwen's phone that she is using is registered to her brother -- he just lent it to her. But we have a workaround as soon as they open up at our compound. Liwen's sister in law's sister lives with her sister-in-law at the next compound. She will drive us anywhere we want to go in the city. Actually better than the bus or subway! Still am worried that once we open up on April 8th we will see a resurgence of coronavirus. I hope not but best guess is yes. But all is well here -- we are all healthy and in good spirits.

Our compound is gated with at least 5 "volunteer" guards checking everyone in or out. There is a stay at home order strictly enforced for all of Wuhan. But now people with green card permits are starting to go back to work. I can see the front gate from our 16th floor apartment and lots of cars now leaving every morning. Hopefully we will be able to go shopping soon -- but the word is the local grocery stores are still closed.