The info that we get here in America says that they were handling the virus on a level 2 containment and that there were many infractions in how it was handled. That was reported by a Chinese person that was working in the lab. Please don't make me find that article I am to old and to lazy. Just take my word for it. :victory:

• Like 1

The info that we get here in America says that they were handling the virus on a level 2 containment and that there were many infractions in how it was handled. That was reported by a Chinese person that was working in the lab. Please don't make me find that article I am to old and to lazy. Just take my word for it. :victory:

Look up about 1 post above yours.

• Like 1

There have been a lot of mistakes. I think when it broke, doctors reacted the same as doctors in Italy. They just thought it was pneumonia until so many cases started showing up, and by then it was too late. Not making excuses for lousy lab work. But China has always has some pretty nasty cuisine habits. I do admire their acumen in medicine and research although I wish they were better doctors.

I think all over the world, we will be turning over rocks and finding some nasty worms. Blame is not the word we need now.

from the SCMP

So long, Wuhan: city sees mass exodus after 11 weeks of lockdown

• An estimated 55,000 people left by rail alone on Wednesday, while 100 commercial flights took off for the first time since January 23
  • Wuhan residents are keen to get their lives back on track, but some are fearful of the ‘silent carriers’ who could start a second wave of infections

da84916a-7999-11ea-9479-e3cad17ef2b4_ima

Among the estimated 11,000 Beijing residents who were stranded in Wuhan, 866 were among the first to leave aboard a high-speed train, said Chen Pei, deputy secretary general of the capital’s municipal government.
Authorities in Beijing said they would limit the number of returnees from Wuhan to about 1,000 per day, and that they would all be tested for the coronavirus on arrival.

Great photo. Looks like a page out of “Where’s Waldo?”

Saw an article that 50 recovered, testing-negative church goers in Korea are now testing positive again. There have been similar anecdotes from China since early in the epidemic. Really really hoping that China has a calm summer.

• Like 1

from the National Geographic on Facebook. Another interesting side effect, in addition to the lower pollution levels

As people stopped commuting and traveling, the Earth’s surface vibrated less—and seismologists tracked the change.

https://www.facebook.com/23497828950/posts/10157353543573951/

On NatGeo (coronavirus articles are "free")

These charts show how coronavirus has ‘quieted’ the world

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

and here. Allon n 31 January 2020 - 11:18 AM in The Middle Kingdom - 中国

That would be here - http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/50020-wuhan-pnuemonia-becomes-covid-19/?p=643895

11:18 is Mountain Time (I show 12:18, since I use Central Time for this forum). But the quote blocks show my OS' time (China time) - e.g., it shows 1:53AM for your post here.

To get the direct link to a specific post, you can click on the post # in the upper right of the post. For this post, click where it says #250.

from the Dept. of State on Facebook - I'm sure that this applies ONLY to passport applications at the Embassy or Consulate

Our overseas passport operations have been severely limited by COVID-19. We are no longer shipping full validity passports (10 years for adults and 5 years for children under 16 years old) overseas. If you are a U.S. citizen overseas, the U.S. embassy or consulate may issue you a limited validity emergency passport for urgent travel needs.

https://www.facebook.com/9229303148/posts/10158141845558149/

Our overseas passport operations have been severely limited by COVID-19. We are no longer shipping full validity passports (10 years for adults and 5 years for children under 16 years old) overseas. If you are a U.S. citizen overseas, the U.S. embassy or consulate may issue you a limited validity emergency passport for urgent travel needs.

Contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to determine their operating status. Expect significant delays when applying for routine passport or citizenship services overseas.

Visit the nearest embassy or consulate’s website for additional details regarding the availability of passport and citizenship services: usembassy.gov

I'm hearing about this a lot. It was apparently sparked by a black man overpowering a nurse to escape his quarantine.

With nowhere to go and no hotel willing to accomodate them, scores have been wandering aimlessly on the streets for the last two days with their personal belongings, and sleeping rough at night.

from the Shanghaiist

Africans say they’re getting evicted from their homes and hotels in Guangzhou

With nowhere to go, many have been sleeping on the streets for two nights

africans-in-guangzhou-624x468.jpg

With nowhere to go and no hotel willing to accomodate them, scores have been wandering aimlessly on the streets for the last two days with their personal belongings, and sleeping rough at night.

Many turned to social media to share their experiences with families and friends back home.

Good grief. All his shilling for the CCP and pro-China diatribes and he gets his videos censored. Then he goes all out in his conspiracy theories. Greg D has it right and Gweilo60 has it back wards, but hey he is just an old drunk stuck in quarantine. Not sure about the value in posting this. Apart from the entertainment, I guess.

Yes, entertainment, but the point he raises is about the 5 strains. I haven't been able to verify this anywhere else.

Even if true, it wouldn't prove that they came from the US.

But the Fort Dexter closure is verifiable, as is the spike in viping illnesses.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/05/health/germs-fort-detrick-biohazard.amp.html

The conspiracy theories leave holes in their sequences.I'll leave it to the scientists to sort out.

Gweilo60 is about the last person I would listen to for scientific advice.

However, I really enjoyed his Day 1-4 videos, and the video before that where he traveled back to China. Reminded me of his earlier videos that I was a huge fan of. Just showing things they way they are...

Anyways, looks like he's back to the conspiracy theories on Day 5. Now I see he has yet another "What the world can learn from China..." video up today. He must've deviated from the script at some point in the past week and his CPC bosses whipped him back into shape today. I'll watch these vids during my daily workout tomorrow...

Here's a little more information on what happened with our friend Gweilo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPrnli_jw3U&t=

Makes sense now why his next two videos were the same old pro-China anti-west ramblings.

Hilarious. All his promoting of the CCP gained him nothing when he criticized their quarantining procedures. What a moron.

• Like 2

I'm hearing about this a lot. It was apparently sparked by a black man overpowering a nurse to escape his quarantine.

from the Shanghaiist

Africans say they’re getting evicted from their homes and hotels in Guangzhou

With nowhere to go, many have been sleeping on the streets for two nights

http://shanghaiist.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/africans-in-guangzhou-624x468.jpg

Many turned to social media to share their experiences with families and friends back home.

Doesnt surprise me. I know what Chinese think of blacks. I thought maybe it was getting better, but no.

• Like 1

That would be here - http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/50020-wuhan-pnuemonia-becomes-covid-19/?p=643895

11:18 is Mountain Time (I show 12:18, since I use Central Time for this forum). But the quote blocks show my OS' time (China time) - e.g., it shows 1:53AM for your post here.

To get the direct link to a specific post, you can click on the post # in the upper right of the post. For this post, click where it says #250.

I know that, Randy, but I was being lazy. And time zones don't make a heckuva difference to most here. Reference was made to to bat researchers being the cause lately and I just to post then that they had been working on this long before the outbreak, and there was mishandling of bats and pangolins by not only that wet market but others. More on this later.

Some on published data about the source of SARS-CoV-2 the virus that causes COVID-19:

The coronavirus did not escape from a lab. Here's how we know.

By Jeanna Bryner - Live Science Editor-in-Chief 21 days ago

The persistent myth can be put to bed.

One persistent myth is that this virus, called SARS-CoV-2, was made by scientists and escaped from a lab in Wuhan, China, where the outbreak began.

A new analysis of SARS-CoV-2 {the virus that cause COVID-19} may finally put that latter idea to bed. A group of researchers compared the genome of this novel coronavirus with the seven other coronaviruses known to infect humans: SARS, MERS and SARS-CoV-2, which can cause severe disease; along with HKU1, NL63, OC43 and 229E, which typically cause just mild symptoms, the researchers wrote March 17 in the journal Nature Medicine.

"Our analyses clearly show that SARS-CoV-2 is not a laboratory construct or a purposefully manipulated virus," they write in the journal article.

That analysis showed that the "hook" part of the spike had evolved to target a receptor on the outside of human cells called ACE2, which is involved in blood pressure regulation. It is so effective at attaching to human cells that the researchers said the spike proteins were the result of natural selection and not genetic engineering.

But it turns out, nature is smarter than scientists, and the novel coronavirus found a way to mutate that was better — and completely different— from anything scientists could have created, the study found.

Another nail in the "escaped from evil lab" theory? The overall molecular structure of this virus is distinct from the known coronaviruses and instead most closely resembles viruses found in bats and pangolins that had been little studied and never known to cause humans any harm.

"If someone were seeking to engineer a new coronavirus as a pathogen, they would have constructed it from the backbone of a virus known to cause illness," according to a statement from Scripps.

Where did the virus come from? The research group came up with two possible scenarios for the origin of SARS-CoV-2 in humans. One scenario follows the origin stories for a few other recent coronaviruses that have wreaked havoc in human populations. In that scenario, we contracted the virus directly from an animal — civets in the case of SARS and camels in the case of Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS). In the case of SARS-CoV-2, the researchers suggest that animal was a bat, which transmitted the virus to another intermediate animal (possibly a pangolin, some scientists have said) that brought the virus to humans.

In the other scenario, those pathogenic features would have evolved only after the virus jumped from its animal host to humans. Some coronaviruses that originated in pangolins have a "hook structure" (that receptor binding domain) similar to that of SARS-CoV-2. In that way, a pangolin either directly or indirectly passed its virus onto a human host.

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-not-human-made-in-lab.html

Edit 8Jun2021: The article title now reads:

The coronavirus was not engineered in a lab. Here's how we know.

• Like 1