This follows a paper estimating 60% of Wuhan infections were never tallied. Which helps explain why the Wuhan fatality rate was so high. Anyway, this is just a correction to practices in order to restore credibility to government announcements.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25/asia/china-coronavirus-li-keqiang-intl-hnk/index.html

China's premier warns local officials not to hide new coronavirus infections

Chinese Premier Li Keqiang has warned local officials not to hide new coronavirus cases, after the country reported several days of no locally transmitted infections in a major turnaround in its fight against the deadly pandemic.

Li, the country's second-in-command, urged local governments Monday to "seek truth from facts" and be "open and transparent" in releasing information on the epidemic.
"Being open and transparent means a new case must be reported once it's discovered. It is what it is. There must be no concealing or underreporting," he told senior officials tasked with battling Covid-19 during a meeting he chaired, according to an official government statement posted online Tuesday.
Being transparent also means the public is less likely to let down its guard, which can help the implementation of epidemic control measures and prevent a rebound in cases, Li added.
On Tuesday, after new cases dropped to zero for five consecutive days, Wuhan reported a new confirmed case -- a doctor working at the Hubei General Hospital. The Wuhan Municipal Health Commission said in a statement that the possibility of cross-infection within that hospital could not be ruled out.
In China, only patients showing symptoms and positive results in nucleic tests are included in the official tally of confirmed cases. Asymptomatic patients who have tested positive are monitored and placed under quarantine until they develop symptoms or turn negative in later tests.
The World Health Organization, however, says in its guideline that "a person with laboratory confirmation of COVID-19 infection, irrespective of clinical signs and symptoms" should be counted as a confirmed case.

Nobody believes the Chinese numbers anyway. They are maybe a first order approximation.

I understand. I feel it was a nice order given the high chance that China or any country will have a boomerang return of the viral illness. I would say that the Chinese research articles coming out are decent quality and WRT trust in their numbers they tend to refer to focused defined populations. Generally, I don’t trust Chinese research articles either as I know most of them are incentivized to commit fraud.

Note the shadow puppetry: Xi speaks when it’s for glory, Li Keqiang when a head may need to roll at some future time (his).

i am optimistic that warmer weather will help keep it a calmer summer.

I'm not sure what's behind this - I'll have to look for a more official announcement.

from TheChinaTrips on Facebook

Oops, no more China travel for the time being 🇨🇳

China announces the suspension of foreigner's entry with current valid visa and residence permit.

https://www.facebook.com/2358098751081249/posts/3319691574921957/

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

from the Straits Times

China to suspend entry of foreigners with visas, residence permits due to coronavirus

East Asia News & Top Stories - The Straits Times

China has banned foreigners with valid visas and residence permits from entering the country in a drastic move that amounts almost to a total shutdown of its borders as it also severely restricts international flights.
In a late-night announcement on Thursday night (March 26), its foreign ministry said only diplomats, those engaged in emergency humanitarian work, or “necessary economic, trade, scientific or technological activities” and those with C visas are exempted from the suspension, which will begin Saturday.
C visas are given to foreigners who provide international transportation services.
. . .
In another move aimed at curbing the virus from being brought into the country, the civil aviation authority said foreign airlines will be allowed to operate just one route per week from Sunday.
Domestic airlines, too, will be restricted to flying to only one country no more than once a week.

. . . and the SCMP
  • Suspension order is set to take effect at midnight on Friday
  • Foreign ministry makes some exceptions, including for transit passengers

from the Straits Times

China to suspend entry of foreigners with visas, residence permits due to coronavirus

East Asia News & Top Stories - The Straits Times

China has banned foreigners with valid visas and residence permits from entering the country in a drastic move that amounts almost to a total shutdown of its borders as it also severely restricts international flights.
In a late-night announcement on Thursday night (March 26), its foreign ministry said only diplomats, those engaged in emergency humanitarian work, or “necessary economic, trade, scientific or technological activities” and those with C visas are exempted from the suspension, which will begin Saturday.
C visas are given to foreigners who provide international transportation services.
. . .
In another move aimed at curbing the virus from being brought into the country, the civil aviation authority said foreign airlines will be allowed to operate just one route per week from Sunday.
Domestic airlines, too, will be restricted to flying to only one country no more than once a week.

. . . and the SCMP
  • Suspension order is set to take effect at midnight on Friday
  • Foreign ministry makes some exceptions, including for transit passengers

Also saw this: http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202003/26/WS5e7cb09ca3101282172824f2.html

My wife thinks it's basically a way to block Chinese national from returning, without explicitly saying so.

Even though the title of the article says "Foreign Airlines" it looks like the same rules apply to Chinese carriers as well.

Edited by Barfus (see edit history)

from Al Jazeera

Russia latest country to receive coronavirus kits from Jack Ma

Chinese billionaire has sent essential supplies to African countries and the US, and plans to help Latin America.

Russia has received more than a million face masks and 200,000 coronavirus testing kits as a gift from Jack Ma, becoming the latest country to welcome a donation from the Chinese billionaire businessman amid the global health crisis.

A new email scam

Hi, neigh͏bor.
Tests confirmed that I was sick with a coronav͏irus.
Doc͏tors said that in the week I will leave the world.
My parents will be left without my sup͏port.
And at this ti͏me you will live enjoying.
I think this is unf͏air, and I suggest you pay me.
What I am sitting at home and don't try to in͏fect your home.
Life or mo͏ney.
Hurr͏y up! Every hour, I hat͏e you more and more.

My bit͏coin address (BTC Wal͏let) 18P3S6Du * * * *

Grey loud first took his quarantine videos private, now at least one is restored.

This is the Day 5 video about the conspiracy theories. In particular, he points out the claim that there are 5 different strains - US, Italy, Korea, Japan, and China. Of the 5, supposedly the US is the only country with all 5. Come to your own conclusion, he says.

He gets it wrong - perfectly 180 degrees wrong - by saying "all the variations are the trunk of the tree". Indeed, they are the BRANCHES of the tree and I guess we can thank him for providing the evidence that the U. S. is, therefore the least likely place for the origin.

The genetic analysis shows, through normal variation, that the UR strain is from China, as all scientists including Chinese ones agree.

Now that I'm dotty, stuck in a room with amazingly good bandwidth on my vpn and shameless, I'll start giving equal footing to conspiracy theories that coincidentally support ccp dissembling.

mmm. . . What he's saying, as I understood (or at least the conspiracy theories are saying) is that all 5 strains are PRESENT in the US, meaning they would have mutated BEFORE migrating to their respective countries.

If this were the case, then each would have been hiding in the background avoiding any detection until after the Wuhan situation broke

But, yes - I would think it might be more likely that they would first migrate to their destination, and then mutate to that particular strain.

The US would then be on the receiving end of each as people arrived from each country

Truly a chicken or the egg scenario that I'm happy to leave to the scientists to sort out.

Apparently the Chinese authorities requested he take down days 1-4 , one of the comments mentions Gweilo said that on his recent live show. Not sure if he was showing some potentially sensitive/classified stuff , or if the conditions he showed at the first hotel were unflattering, or the things he said were too negative (eg complaining about the wifi speed) - who knows. Either way it's odd that his quarantine videos now start at the 5-star hotel ...

• Like 1

Good grief. All his shilling for the CCP and pro-China diatribes and he gets his videos censored. Then he goes all out in his conspiracy theories. Greg D has it right and Gweilo60 has it back wards, but hey he is just an old drunk stuck in quarantine. Not sure about the value in posting this. Apart from the entertainment, I guess.

Good grief. All his shilling for the CCP and pro-China diatribes and he gets his videos censored. Then he goes all out in his conspiracy theories. Greg D has it right and Gweilo60 has it back wards, but hey he is just an old drunk stuck in quarantine. Not sure about the value in posting this. Apart from the entertainment, I guess.

Yes, entertainment, but the point he raises is about the 5 strains. I haven't been able to verify this anywhere else.

Even if true, it wouldn't prove that they came from the US.

But the Fort Dexter closure is verifiable, as is the spike in viping illnesses.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/05/health/germs-fort-detrick-biohazard.amp.html

The conspiracy theories leave holes in their sequences.I'll leave it to the scientists to sort out.

• Like 2