from the SCMP on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/scmp/videos/303145913979683/

Coronavirus: who’s most at risk?
The WHO warns that countries and regions with deep social inequalities or those lacking adequate medical infrastructure will become new Covid-19 hotbeds.

More on the epidemic: sc.mp/coronavirusoutbreak

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

How they're handling the 14 day auto-quarantine in Beijing

CCTV Video News Agency

China has stepped up efforts to guard against imported cases as overseas COVID-19 infections soar. Beijing, the capital, is at the forefront of curbing imported COVID-19 cases. It has converted the New China International Exhibition Center into a transit center for inbound passengers. Starting on Monday, all travelers entering Beijing from overseas were required to be quarantined at designated sites for 14 days, and only people with special circumstances that pass rigorous assessment can be granted self-quarantine at home, Beijing municipal government official Chen Bei said on Sunday.

Human testing of vaccine okay'ed - fom China Daily HK

Other vaccine development are also discussed in the article

Chinese vaccine approved for human testing in Wuhan

Despite the rapid introduction of human trials, the earliest available vaccine is at least six months away, according to the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
Anthony Fauci, director of the US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said it would take about a year-and-a-half to complete trials, scale up production and make a vaccine widely available.

The SCMP reports they were ordered to do so.

Top leadership fears ‘losing face’ if other countries develop a treatment first
Scientists from the Academy of Military Medical Scientists have been authorised to start clinical trials on a possible vaccine
CCTV described the vaccine being developed by Chen’s team alongside Tianjin-based CanSino Biologics as the front-runner among nine possible treatments being worked on by Chinese scientists.
Researchers around the world are scrambling to develop a vaccine for the disease, and one expert said the Chinese leadership would feel they had “lost face” if the Americans beat them to it.

• Like 1

The article doesn't really say anything more, but contains more data and more countries, if you are interested.

Singapore, Hong Kong, and Taiwan have had trouble keeping their curve flattened out. Most others, except for China, have seen their cases skyrocket.

From the NY Times.

https://www.facebook.com/5281959998/posts/10152235922669999/

China has drastically reduced the number of new coronavirus cases, flattening the curve. South Korea appears to be headed on a similar path. See where countries are on the curve.

Which Country Has Flattened the Curve for the Coronavirus?

gallery_1846_733_61432.jpg

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

I think the new cases inter past week for Taiwan consist of 90% imported. China from time to time is able to make nearly the same claim.

I would expect traveler cases and some mini hotspots revealed by lockdown relaxing will be a problem in China for a while.

Italy and Spain just going off the rails.

• Like 1

Italy and Spain just going off the rails.

Can't figure out what the hell is going on in Italy. Nearly 500 deaths in one day?! Hopefully these are the last of the people that were infected a few weeks ago before the lockdown and we should start seeing the numbers slowly plateau over there. A buddy of mine in Europe told me young Italians have been incredibly cavalier about the whole coronavirus situation. Unfortunately, since so many younger folks live with their elderly parents and even grandparents, it makes for a really dangerous situation where asymptomatic kids pass it on to others in their small apartment.

I think the US does have a few things going for it. Most states have already been semi-locked down for over a week. Our population density is low and there is less pubic transit and less crowding. Elderly don't often live with their grown kids who are likely to be asymptomatic or mildly-symptomatic carriers of the disease. Handwashing and hygiene are a little better, and smoking rates are much lower than in Europe/China. People live further away from one another mostly in single family homes or townhouses, not small apartments that have a shared hallway/elevator/exterior doors.

We'll see what the next 1-2 weeks have in store for us.

I read a post that before Wuhan was locked down thousands fled to Italy.? The article was leaning to that as being one of the factors as well as what you have commented on.

Yes - there was an escape window, although I hadn't heard where they escaped to.

• Like 1

I read a post that before Wuhan was locked down thousands fled to Italy.? The article was leaning to that as being one of the factors as well as what you have commented on.

Yes - there was an escape window, although I hadn't heard where they escaped to.

I believe they had around 12 hours to GTFO - notice of the lockdown was give around 9 or 10pm, and the city was shutdown 10am the next day. Not sure about the exact figure but it's thought that a lot of people fled. One of my wife's distant relatives (from Guangdong) was caught in the lockdown, and is still unable to go back to Guangdong.

I saw somewhere that there are (normally) 200,000 Chinese in northern Italy, "most working in restaurants".

Given the timing with spring festival, I could see lots getting out while they could. Still curious how they are having such a high fatality rate.

Fatality rate is the number of deaths divided by the number of KNOWN infections. If your testing isn't adequate, the number of known infections will be low.

An extreme would be no testing (or awareness) at all. The apparent fatality rate would be 100%.

There may be population risk factors as well, such as age.