Digital communcation issues in China

Hi Guys, It is 5:30 in the morning after my long return trip from the states. My last minute arranged trip started with some travel arrnagement problems. That was cause but me waiting to the last minute. I got a cheap flight ( up front cheap) but it cause me on some pain on the back end. The actual flight.

Yesterday around I got to Nanning and the sun was shining and my Lao Po was waiting for me at the airport. Life is good. We got back home and I crashed for about 3-4 house. Unpacked and started to get somethings to get done.

So anyways, onto some other problems I need to solve now. Internet problems. Digital communications issues. I will just focus on one and need some advice on how to solve it. I want to access my bank account in the US. I forgot to inform them that I was traveling to China and that I would be using my ATM and Visa cards. And maybe tell them that I would be using my computer to access my account when I am here in China. I usually do this in person but now they say to do it on line. Now that I am in China ,if I do it on line will they they think that I am a "fraudster" hacking away in China.

I have been trying to get onto the internet for the past 3 or 4 hours...off and on. Lots of problems. My VPN is not working well Express V. In the years past it has worked ok for me. Not this year. It's not accessing, just trying. I did get on it last week when I was testing it. Not sure what is going. Anyone know if internet access has changed recently? What should I do now?. I am considering getting a dongle that will let my computer wireless access thru a china mobile company, such as China Mobile. I did this once about 5 or 6 years ago when we visiting up north. Right now I am using my Lao Po' aunty's son's wifi. Any idea what the dongle would cost me for a month? I dont want to try to use my ATM card until the B of A knows that I am in China.At this point I am not sure if I have a "me", wifi, internet, access control, VPN issues or what. Any suggestions. Thanks Danb

The clock on the computer says 8:56 am . I have been on the computer since my last two post were made maybe 3 hours ago.. I got some sleep in the last two days but not much. Part of those trips involved 36 hour of flying and stopping. I am tired and perhaps not thinking straight. But the panic mode has left me for ...at least a few moment. I chatted several times with the VPN company. They pointed me in the perhaps the right different direction, I hope. They said that some antivirus program maybe be blocking a system download of the latest and greatest software version. There was one time that I actually had a connection ( over 30 attempts) to the vpn. BUT I was finishing up an email and and the connection was lost. In the past 3 hours I was able to contact my bank and my credit union . I was able to complete my bank business. I yahhoo'd ASTRILL. Nothing found. Is that an internet service or a mobile service or?? Sorry, I still must not be thinking clear yet. But atleast I am a little more ease at the moment. Thanks for listening and the reply. Not sure what time my brain is on. Maybe crazy time. :) Danb

Just confirming that ExpressVPN was basically useless when I was in China earlier this year...

Yes - I gave up even trying them anymore (Express and Nord VPN's), since I usually had to spend half an hour each time until I could find a site to connect to. Astrill connects within 2 seconds.

https://www.astrill-cn.com/ - has had a 30 day free trial. Oops - "We do not offer a free trial in China. Astrill service works well in China unlike any other VPN providers who often have problems there."

Use the 'OpenWeb' option. I usually connect to any of their servers that has 'China' in their name.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Thank You for the replies. Express VPN worked okay for me about three years. This year it is not so good. I did contact their support group several times. In general they are friendly and try to help me resolve my problem. The thing is that they try and do not do. I will definitely try out the ATRILL link. Thanks you again guys. Have a good night. Danb

Thank You for the replies. Express VPN worked okay for me about three years. This year it is not so good. I did contact their support group several times. In general they are friendly and try to help me resolve my problem. The thing is that they try and do not do. I will definitely try out the ATRILL link. Thanks you again guys. Have a good night. Danb

I'll give ExpressVPN a thumbs up for how fast they refunded my money - when I complained that there service was useless in China, they immediately replied saying they were aware of issues in China and I got my money back within 2-3 days.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got Atrilli a couple of days ago. Got it for only one month for 20 dollars. A yearly rate would have been cheaper but I only need it for 1 month at this time.It does seem fast . Very fast. Hooks up very quickly. I am having some problems that my Wifi kicks me off abruptly sometimes. But I can live with that. Thank you for your helps and comments.

• Like 2