What happens if you miss the CR visa interview?

Here in the midwest we are getting slammed with a bunch of snow. My wife is scheduled to fly out Saturday at 6am for her daughter's CR2 interview on Tuesday in Guangzhou. She is super stressed out so I'm trying to figure out what would happen in the worst case scenario.

Could my wife's mother (the kid's grandmother) go in place of my wife w/o any issues? I understand you can also send a notarized letter authorizing someone to represent a minor at their interview (like my wife's sister) - does this need to be hand-signed and original copy, or would a high-quality scan work? In the absolute worst case scenario, would the embassy have some sympathy and re-schedule in a reasonable time frame - we would of course contact them ahead of time.

Thanks, and sorry for the somewhat paranoid questions.

Here in the midwest we are getting slammed with a bunch of snow. My wife is scheduled to fly out Saturday at 6am for her daughter's CR2 interview on Tuesday in Guangzhou. She is super stressed out so I'm trying to figure out what would happen in the worst case scenario.

Could my wife's mother (the kid's grandmother) go in place of my wife w/o any issues? I understand you can also send a notarized letter authorizing someone to represent a minor at their interview (like my wife's sister) - does this need to be hand-signed and original copy, or would a high-quality scan work? In the absolute worst case scenario, would the embassy have some sympathy and re-schedule in a reasonable time frame - we would of course contact them ahead of time.

Thanks, and sorry for the somewhat paranoid questions.

Sounds like you have a good handle on your options there. Choose the one that works best for you - you should be okay.