Apostille Third country nationals

Hello,

Since I'm a third country national (India), does anyone know if original documents need to be apostille? I haven't read anywhere that it needs an apostille, but some people I spoke to told me the consulate may require it.

I don't remember anyone asking about documents from India before, but it looks like the answer is yes

from the Dept of State reciprocity tables

Certified Copies Available: There are no certified copies available.

from the U.S. Indian embassy

Indian documents can be authenticated for use overseas by the issuance of an apostille sticker at the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), Consular-Passport-Visa Division in New Delhi.

I'm not seeing anywhere where it states that the apostille is REQUIRED for a U.S. visa application - you might check with the consulate to be sure.

from the Dept of State reciprocity tables

Certified Copies Available: There are no certified copies available.

from the U.S. Indian embassy

Indian documents can be authenticated for use overseas by the issuance of an apostille sticker at the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), Consular-Passport-Visa Division in New Delhi.

Thank you Randy. The problem is that I laminated my birth certificate to protect it from damage and they don't put an apostille sticker on laminated documents. As a back up I was able to get a birth and baptism certificate from my church back in India, so hopefully that helps.

Thank you.

UPDATE

Hi Randy,

I did get a few replies from visajourney as follows:

1. No Apostille required

2. Police clearance certificate valid for 12 months

3. But I am facing a third problem. My original birth certificate from India is laminated and they posted it won't be accepted. Do you or anyone know about this? I do have a birth and baptism certificate issued to me in 2013 by my church in Mumbai which is not laminated, would the baptism certificate suffice?

• Like 1

"no adverse information against---------------------which would render him or her ineligible for Immigration" - yes, the police certificate basically says "Never heard of this guy".

I don't see that the lamination WOULDN'T be accepted - you only need to SHOW it to them and give them a paper copy. But that would be a question for the Guangzhou consulate.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)