Documents for Stepdaughter - CR2 Interview

Martin B

My stepdaughter has her interview in Guangzhou in approx two weeks. My wife will fly out two days beforehand and take her to the interview. We're starting to put together the documents to bring along. Here is what we have - I realize not all of these are necessary, but we'd rather be over-prepared then underprepared. She is 10 so the police report, marriage certificates, etc. are not an issue. I'm really starting to get paranoid we left out something super basic.

The Basics

Interview appointment letter (email)

CEAC registration confirmation

Copy of submitted D260

CGI shipping instructions

Two 2x2 photos of stepdaughter

Stepdaughter's medical exam results

Stepdaughter's Passport (+ color copy of Bio Page)

Stepdaughter's ID Card (+ color copy)

Money

I864 (original + copy)

All relevant 2018 tax documents

White Books (original + copy of each)

Stepdaughter's notatorial & medical birth certificates

Wife's divorce agreement - this spells out that my wife has sole custody of her daughter)

Biological father permission letter

Other

Our marriage certificate (original + copy)

Wife's passport, green card, and birth certificate (original + copy)

Copy of my passport page and birth certificate

And lots of family photos!!

Thanks everyone

That should cover it - they have so far required the notarial white book instead of the medical birth certificate. You've got that covered.

Thanks Randy - we're both a little nervous about the whole thing (and a predicted impending snowstorm for when my wife leaves isn't helping...).

Do they typically go through these documents at embassy interviews, or just request stuff as needed? I assume they'll collect the pictures, CGI shipping info, passport etc...

I remember when we had our AOS interview we brought a mountain of stuff with us, but they only wanted a copy of our daughter's birth certificate. :sweating_buckets:

That should cover it - they have so far required the notarial white book instead of the medical birth certificate. You've got that covered.

Thanks Randy - we're both a little nervous about the whole thing (and a predicted impending snowstorm for when my wife leaves isn't helping...).

Do they typically go through these documents at embassy interviews, or just request stuff as needed? I assume they'll collect the pictures, CGI shipping info, passport etc...

I remember when we had our AOS interview we brought a mountain of stuff with us, but they only wanted a copy of our daughter's birth certificate. :sweating_buckets:

The interview for a 10 year old is generally a piece of cake. You're ready for it (just don't tell your daughter to expect one - piece of cake that is :victory: ).

• Like 1

The interview for a 10 year old is generally a piece of cake. You're ready for it (just don't tell your daughter to expect one - piece of cake that is :victory: ).

Thanks Randy. We're mostly paranoid about leaving something behind, forgetting something, or a snowstorm causing a 2-day delay meaning my wife can't make it to the interview.... I'll post back once it's all said and done in case someone goes through this in the future.

Final update from my wife: visa was approved. But the interview was far from a piece of cake. The officer was not particularly friendly, wanted to see proof that I had met my stepdaughter, fortunately we brought along a few pictures of a several trips I took to meet her. Also asked about our jobs, asked my wife how she met me, why she adjusted from a B2 visa, and a bunch of other crap. But whatever, it was over in 5 minutes.

There were also tons of applicants in the waiting area who only spoke Cantonese so they needed to use interpreters, which resulted in a pretty long wait. Some were at the window for 30+ minutes...

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...

Recently rediscovered this post and it's kind of crazy to see where we were 3 years ago, right before COVID blew up.

My stepdaughter's I-751 ROC was  approved without interview a few weeks ago. Took just under a year which was much faster than we were expecting , and that includes an RFE.  Thankfully they approved it right before she turned 14 so she was able to skip biometrics and afaik police and background checks.

Edited by Barfus (see edit history)
  • Like 1