Stepdaughter CR2 visa almost finished

After a long wait, we received notice from NVC that our stepdaughter's interview was scheduled for December 5. Here our story:

1. July 2018: Sent I-130

2. May 2019: I-130 approved May 2019

3. Sept 2019: NVC received I-130 ( :ranting: 3.5 months in transit)

4. Nov 2019: Interview Scheduled for Dec 5, 2019

I think we've got everything ready to go, but I just wanted to get my ducks in order:

1. After we got the interview email, we were told to pre-register with CGIFederal. I did this, provided the mailing address, and got a confirmation form. Is it as simple as taking this confirmation form (along with the medical exam and other docs) to the interview and later paying the courier upon delivery of the passport?

2. Roughly speaking, how long does it take from interview day until visa in hand? I know there's variation but a rough range would be appreciated... Because my stepdaughter is 10, my wife will fly to China to attend the interview with her. My wife has 2 weeks vacation remaining for the year, we're not sure if we should risk her going over for two weeks, or taking two short trips (one for the interview, one to pick up stepdaughter when the visa is delivered).

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Edited by Barf (see edit history)

1. yes

2 weeks is pretty much the minimum these days - plan on it being two to four weeks. It would be virtually impossible to fit within a 2 week vacation.

Yikes - we were seeing visas being available 3-5 days post-interview, didn't know it was taking this long. Looks like my wife will be taking two short trips to China in December. Thank God for bargain-basement Hainan Airlines flights out of Chicago...

The 2 to 4 weeks has pretty much been a standard for Guangzhou applicants for a long time. Where are you seeing 3-5 days?

A couple people reported their CR2 visas for minor children being available for pick-up 3-5 days after the interview on VisaJourney. Of course these are the cases that had no RFEs or lengthy AP post-interview...

I have a quick related question: On the CGI site, it asks for a shipping address line + city + state + postal code. Should the phone number of the recipient also be included? I'm going to contact CGI later today to confirm but thought I'd check here first.

The 2 to 4 weeks has pretty much been a standard for Guangzhou applicants for a long time. Where are you seeing 3-5 days?

A couple people reported their CR2 visas for minor children being available for pick-up 3-5 days after the interview on VisaJourney. Of course these are the cases that had no RFEs or lengthy AP post-interview...

I have a quick related question: On the CGI site, it asks for a shipping address line + city + state + postal code. Should the phone number of the recipient also be included? I'm going to contact CGI later today to confirm but thought I'd check here first.

U.S. stateside addresses don't need phone numbers - China provincial addresses do.

If the intent is to have your wife fly home with the daughter, you might split the vacation time between 2 scheduled trips, hoping to hit the jackpot (visa issued and received) on the first trip. Be sure to reserve time for the second trip in case it's needed.

They pretty much warn you, though, to not schedule the flight to the US until the visa is in hand.

If you are referring to this topic on VJ (https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/724305-guangzhou-passport-delivery-following-interview-ir1/ ), notice that their interviews are scheduled for December. They aren't discussing their back-up plans in case of a longer wait.

U.S. stateside addresses don't need phone numbers - China provincial addresses do.

If the intent is to have your wife fly home with the daughter, you might split the vacation time between 2 scheduled trips, hoping to hit the jackpot (visa issued and received) on the first trip. Be sure to reserve time for the second trip in case it's needed.

They pretty much warn you, though, to not schedule the flight to the US until the visa is in hand.

If you are referring to this topic on VJ (https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/724305-guangzhou-passport-delivery-following-interview-ir1/ ), notice that their interviews are scheduled for December. They aren't discussing their back-up plans in case of a longer wait.

Thanks Randy. That's what we'll do - leave 3 days after the interview just in case we get lucky. Otherwise, my wife will take a second (very quick) trip a few weeks later.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Just following up in case someone sees this in the future - my stepdaughter received her passport 3 days after the interview (interview Tues, courier delivered passport Friday).

We probably could've squeezed her in to come back with my wife the next day, but it would've been way too tight a trip. We are going to wait a few weeks so we can prepare everything in the US for her, let her finish school in China, have a goodbye party, and most importantly, give her grandparents (my wife's parents) a few more weeks together before she leaves for good. Both of her grandparents were incredibly excited for her to come, but unfortunately when her grandfather saw the visa, he teared up realizing she's actually going to be leaving. So we're going to wait on this a bit.

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, Can I ask how old is your stepdaughter? Did she go to interview accompanied by your wife?

An adult should always accompany a minor when interviewing at the consulate, preferably one of the 2 parents.

If the adult is turned away, or otherwise not allowed to attend the actual interview, they should give their passport or ID to the child who will make sure to place it so that the Visa Officer will see it.

Hi, Can I ask how old is your stepdaughter? Did she go to interview accompanied by your wife?

She is 11. Yes, my wife accompanied her. Most of the questions were directed towards my wife. Minors under 14 must be accompanied by someone that has custody of them or have a notarized letter written by the parent allowing another person to accompany them. Based on our experience I highly recommend a parent go, or someone that has a very detailed knowledge of the situation.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Final update: my wife and I went to pick her up last week. Breezed through customs at Chicago O'Hare - helps we were the only flight at 10:30pm and sat in the second row of the plane. What a ride it's been... glad to finally be done with this. We're going to let her rest and adjust for 2 weeks and then off to school she goes.

• Like 1