China blocks Korean musicians, Eastman School of Music (finally) does

Greg.D.

Top U.S. music school effectively cancels China tour after South Korean students denied visas

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/top-u-s-music-school-cancels-china-tour-after-south-n1073721

Century of humiliation IS OVER!!!!

"A top American music conservatory reversed its decision Tuesday night to participate in a tour of China without three of its ensemble members, who were banned by the country from participating because they are from South Korea.

"The dean of the Eastman School of Music had initially said the tour would continue without the South Korean students, but changed his decision following backlash from students, alumni and the public. Now the dean, Jamal Rossi, says the tour will not proceed unless every student is given a visa."

“I am relieved, honestly,” Julia Hatamyar, an Eastman alumna who had spoken out against Rossi’s initial decision, told NBC News. “They don’t want to destroy their relationship with China, but what about their relationship with the U.S.?”

"China’s refusal to grant the students visas appears to be part of what is effectively a ban on South Korean artists that China implemented in 2016, retaliation for South Korea’s decision to install a U.S. missile defense system. One of the policy’s most high-profile impacts was on touring K-pop artists, but it now appears to also be affecting the classical music students."

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Eastman school of music is in my home town Rochester NY, my niece in law violinist my wife’s niece who lives near us in Texas took some classes there.