Breaking News: Hurricane Dorian

Randy W

Hang in there, Larry!
Doesn't sound too bad, though, at Category 1. Stay safe. From the NY Times
Hurricane Dorian made landfall on North Carolina’s Outer Banks as a Category 1 storm. It’s on track to move away from the coast.
The center of the Category 1 storm passed over Cape Hatteras at 8:35 a.m. Friday while moving rapidly northeast, according to the National Weather Service. Cape Hatteras is part of the Outer Banks, a 175-mile-long strip of narrow barrier islands that are accessible only by bridges, boats or planes.

from USAToday

Around 9 a.m. EDT, the agency said Dorian's center made landfall over Cape Hatteras and was moving 14 mph northeast with winds up to 90 mph.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Larry is closer to Wilmington if I recall, right near Camp Lejeune. I know the power was out and still may be in some areas. Sneads Ferry, to the left of the storm where the winds would have pretty fierce, too a big hit.

Hopefully, all is well for Larry and Charles.

Thanks, guys. Everything is fine here in Sneads Ferry. No flooding and the power actually stayed on during the whole thing but a little north and south were not as lucky. Mostly north and in some parts of the county. It was like an umbrella was over us. The winds did get up to 90mph but no structural damage that anyone has reported. Looking to hear from Charles now.

Edited by amberjack1234 (see edit history)

Thanks, guys. Everything is fine here in Sneads Ferry. No flooding and the power actually stayed on during the whole thing but a little north and south were not as lucky. Mostly north and in some parts of the county. It was like an umbrella was over us. The winds did get up to 90mph but no structural damage that anyone has reported. Looking to hear from Charles now.

I checked out Sneads Ferry on Google Maps, (took a "drive" down Riverside Dr.) Larry. Beautiful spot. Dern you ARE right on the edge of the world. Yet, you're so calm and cavalier about hurricanes... 'ho hum, another one, yawn'. Let's hope your good fortune continues. Not a very good forecast of what future annual hurricanes will be.

I checked out Sneads Ferry on Google Maps, (took a "drive" down Riverside Dr.) Larry. Beautiful spot. Dern you ARE right on the edge of the world. Yet, you're so calm and cavalier about hurricanes... 'ho hum, another one, yawn'. Let's hope your good fortune continues. Not a very good forecast of what future annual hurricanes will be.

You are right Dennis. We, old-timers, have kind of a second sense about them when to stay and when to go. I only know of one local that has ever lost their life to a hurricane and he was a young son of a friend of mine and he went in the ocean in a 14' boat at night just before the hurricane was to come onshore with a friend of his to get his gill net he had set earlier that day and lost his life. That was like 30 years ago. Yes, I hope my luck continues but I want you to know that I have left many times too. Thanks for taking the interest to take a drive. I could direct you to where the rich guys live and have more beautiful houses and lawns on the water. I'm not one of them. They all have been built in the last 10 years and building about 2000 a year at the present time. The drive that you took was there in 1973/5. If it took you all the way to the end there is a house on a small island there that is about 10,000 sqft.

Yes, I'm not looking forward to it either and they seem to be getting stronger like predicted too. If my insurance keeps going up I will have to let the millionaires have it that can afford it. I've already sold one place on the beach.

Edited by amberjack1234 (see edit history)
  • Like 1