Teach your Chinese loved one drive in the US

Joecy

Hi, hope all is well with everyone here, you and your Chinese loved one are all doing well.

Again, Chinese ladies embark on journey in the US, first thing first, they need to learn to drive! And guess what, you can be their instructor (with love and patience).

Here's a recent article written by a Chinese lady, she talked about how her American husband taught her drive in the US, and some English words to memorize to pass driving test. The article is in Chinese, quite funny :-) Welcome to send it to your wife or fiancé. Below is partial translation -

"In order to teach me to drive, my foreign coach has to...

I am a typical native in China. After coming to this country on wheels, it is an adventure for me to go out every time. Although there are Chinese driver's licenses in hand, the foundation is solid enough (the road has been tested four times, and every time you hang it, you have to go back to the furnace to practice. Can you not be solid?), but I have not opened it independently, let alone abroad. In order to help me achieve freedom of travel, my family Yang Luban volunteered to become my foreign coach.

read more "

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is about instructors in China, but it may also apply to the US

from the Sixth Tone on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/1570821646570023/posts/2408053679513478/

How to become a good driving instructor? Some are learning how to praise their students.

https://www.facebook.com/1570821646570023/posts/2408053679513478/

Taught my wife - now teaching step daughter

#1 rule - stay in your lane - pick a lane and stay in it

#2 rule - your speed limit = posted speed limit minus 5 mph when good weather and posted speed limit minus 10 miles per hour in bad weather

#3 rule - when rain - very slippery, slow down test brakes often

#4 rule - your parking place is empty spot in the lot far from other cars

#5 rule - very slowly driving in parking lot

#6 rule - very, very, very slowly drive in parking lot for Asian market

#7 rule - no talking, no radio, no food, no drinking, no cell phone - your capability is just barely handle one task of driving

#8 rule - stop sign count to 3 and make sure it is safe before moving

#9 rule - you are captain of the car - don't move until you have looked and are sure it is safe - ignore when other people say to go

• Like 1

This is about instructors in China, but it may also apply to the US

from the Sixth Tone on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/1570821646570023/posts/2408053679513478/

How to become a good driving instructor? Some are learning how to praise their students.

https://www.facebook.com/1570821646570023/posts/2408053679513478/

Can't open... wondering if facebook in China is blocked??

Taught my wife - now teaching step daughter

#1 rule - stay in your lane - pick a lane and stay in it

#2 rule - your speed limit = posted speed limit minus 5 mph when good weather and posted speed limit minus 10 miles per hour in bad weather

#3 rule - when rain - very slippery, slow down test brakes often

#4 rule - your parking place is empty spot in the lot far from other cars

#5 rule - very slowly driving in parking lot

#6 rule - very, very, very slowly drive in parking lot for Asian market

#7 rule - no talking, no radio, no food, no drinking, no cell phone - your capability is just barely handle one task of driving

#8 rule - stop sign count to 3 and make sure it is safe before moving

#9 rule - you are captain of the car - don't move until you have looked and are sure it is safe - ignore when other people say to go

Good one!

I like Rule 6 and 7 specially, no cellphone!

Teaching my wife to drive is one of my more harrowing experiences. It was like my wife had never seen a car before. She has a Chinese license and had a car in Shanghai driving for ten years. Despite the traffic, it is pretty easy to drive in Shanghai. No one trusts the other driver, so they all look out for each other, and the traffic moves slowly. All-way stops befuddled my wife. More than once, she assumed an all-way stop and pulled out in front of drivers causing them to come to a screeching halt. She wouldn't listen to me, so I sent her to a driving school run by off-duty officers. After the first day, the instructor was visibly shaken and just shook his head. After the second day, with another officer, he shook his head and told me, "You just have to take her out and practice, practice, practice." Even today, she will drive on the wrong side of the road for no particular reason. She ran a red light not because she didn't see it but because other people do it and she wanted to see what it was like. I take the view that you drive safely, even when no one is looking. The hardest thing was to convince no to try to push pedestrians in the crosswalk out of the way with the car. She's a horrible driver and is only marginally better than when she arrived here. If you are in the crosswalk and you see her coming, don't walk; Run!

My wife is motivated when she is pissed off. I am tolerant of mistakes but not stupidity. I yelled at her one day and told her she could never pass a driving test. She wanted to go immediately. So, I took her. She passed the first time. The officer knew a little Mandarin and told her she passed in Mandarin. I think that is why he passed her because it was the only words he knew and wanted to impress her. She told the officer that I said she would never pass. He went out of his way to tell me that she was "Perfect". He doesn't know the monster he created. Her friends were shocked and didn't believe it. They had to see the actual license. She has a friend who took 13 times to pass.

At work, we used to have Chinese visitors. Many of them would get their license in China but use the opportunity to learn to drive in the US where it is easier to drive. I didn't know it when I rode with one woman. She could figure out how to back out of a parking space in an empty lot. She must have hit something pretty hard along the line because a hubcap was missing. Some factories started forbidding them from renting a car when visiting the factory. She never should have been driving.

Save yourself a heart-attack and send them to driving school and keept them there until they pass.

• Like 1

Teaching my wife to drive is one of my more harrowing experiences. It was like my wife had never seen a car before. She has a Chinese license and had a car in Shanghai driving for ten years. Despite the traffic, it is pretty easy to drive in Shanghai. No one trusts the other driver, so they all look out for each other, and the traffic moves slowly. All-way stops befuddled my wife. More than once, she assumed an all-way stop and pulled out in front of drivers causing them to come to a screeching halt. She wouldn't listen to me, so I sent her to a driving school run by off-duty officers. After the first day, the instructor was visibly shaken and just shook his head. After the second day, with another officer, he shook his head and told me, "You just have to take her out and practice, practice, practice." Even today, she will drive on the wrong side of the road for no particular reason. She ran a red light not because she didn't see it but because other people do it and she wanted to see what it was like. I take the view that you drive safely, even when no one is looking. The hardest thing was to convince no to try to push pedestrians in the crosswalk out of the way with the car. She's a horrible driver and is only marginally better than when she arrived here. If you are in the crosswalk and you see her coming, don't walk; Run!

My wife is motivated when she is pissed off. I am tolerant of mistakes but not stupidity. I yelled at her one day and told her she could never pass a driving test. She wanted to go immediately. So, I took her. She passed the first time. The officer knew a little Mandarin and told her she passed in Mandarin. I think that is why he passed her because it was the only words he knew and wanted to impress her. She told the officer that I said she would never pass. He went out of his way to tell me that she was "Perfect". He doesn't know the monster he created. Her friends were shocked and didn't believe it. They had to see the actual license. She has a friend who took 13 times to pass.

At work, we used to have Chinese visitors. Many of them would get their license in China but use the opportunity to learn to drive in the US where it is easier to drive. I didn't know it when I rode with one woman. She could figure out how to back out of a parking space in an empty lot. She must have hit something pretty hard along the line because a hubcap was missing. Some factories started forbidding them from renting a car when visiting the factory. She never should have been driving.

Save yourself a heart-attack and send them to driving school and keept them there until they pass.

• Like 1