Off to China on September 3rd. Visit to Hong Kong mid Sept is in the p

Time for another trip to see the wife's family and this time we play tourist in Beijing checking out great wall, emperors palace and the like. Asking the few of us that live there (Randy mainly I think.) Any anti-USA sentiment going on now? Should I use my Canadian passport instead? I don't imagine it will be a problem not once have I run in to anyone giving us a hassle on previous trips. Was planning on swinging threw Hong Kong for a few days, it would be just my daughter and I in Hong Kong for the most part my wife has a few days she needs to take care of some things in her home town so she will join us to go to Shenzhen when she is done. Think it's ok to do this with out her being with us or should we wait and just skip Hong Kong altogether spending all our time in Shenzhen?

I don't think anyone will care which passport you use - you look the same either way. Yes, expect the same kind of response you usually get, but don't tell anyone you voted for Trump.

Hong Kong, though, is another matter. They just had a "tear gas free" weekend with a large demonstration, so you may be okay. They tear gassed an MTR station once, and a guy was tear gassed while looking for his hotel (in the wrong place at the wrong time). If you REALLY want to go, you might keep your plans flexible and watch the Hong Kong news as the time approaches. Then again, you might find lighter crowds, but on the third hand, maybe a lot of closures due to the demonstrations.

One Chinese lawyer who works at the British embassy was detained for participation when crossing into China. The Cathay Pacific CEO was sacked under pressure from China for encouraging his employees to participate. The story goes that they demanded a list of those employees who DID participate - he responded with only his own name.

Be careful. Don't discuss the demonstrations.

• Like 1

We will wait and see how things are around mid September, We may just spend the time in Shenzhen or even Shanghai.

I'm pretty sure nothing's going to change between now and then except that the back-to-school bunch will be added to the mix beginning next week.

The families of the police are even getting into the act, urging them (the police) to show restraint.

And don't forget you'll have to cross back in to China from Hong Kong (additional scrutiny these days).

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yep looked just like that.... IT WAS AWESOME!!! No line.......... Weird... HK Disneyland feels very 2nd rate. I man it is Disney quality, very clean and well done it is made p entirely of 2nd and 2rd line rides. Imagine if yo went to Disney in Anaheim and all that was open was like It's a small world, Peter pan and the teacups. Best ride there was Grizzly mountain railroad.