Hi guys, waiting for our interview date, any help?

Hi guys, I applied for my wife's green card over two years ago after we got married starting with the i-130. A year later I began the visa process, now all of her documents have been accepted and approved and it is in the "review" stage. They recently asked for extra docs for my dad, which I sent two weeks ago. We are awaiting the interview date at any time now. The question is when they approve everything, how late out do they usually schedule the interview? Is it one month later? Two months? I know they have to transit the case to China from the US and someone told me that takes 6 weeks at least. Does anyone have any idea how long it usually is once they schedule it?

Check out the ustraveldocs.com website (the official visa website for the consulate) - this is where you need to be looking. I believe you will be scheduling your own interview, but this is unclear - "I know they have to transit the case to China from the US and someone told me that takes 6 weeks at least."

Did you file your I-130 stateside or DCF (at either the Beijing or Guangzhou USCIS offices)?

If you filed stateside, the NVC will schedule the interview for you, but you can still get an idea of what dates are available (or not) from the ustraveldocs web site.

Yeah Randy, I was told I can't apply in Guangzhou as I was on a tourist visa at the time and they wouldn't accept the case. We lagged on some of the documents but yes I agree it has been a very long time. The case is in the review process all of her documents have already been accepted in the system and during the review process since my mom's 2017 taxes weren't available they asked for a whole trove of documents for my dad instead. In fact when I filed the i-130 it took an entire year for them to when accept the petition! I then was waiting on further instructions from them based on what someone told me on the phone. When I heard nothing for a couple months I called and then they told me I had to start the online process with the nvc. Needless to say it has been a long time!

Thank you for the links Randy. I think I've done everything at this point, just a matter of waiting for the interview date I believe. It is impossible to get nvc on the phone these days. I used to be able to get a hold of them easily and then they changed their hours, and I've never been able to get someone on the phone since! It's crazy.

Yeah Randy, I was told I can't apply in Guangzhou as I was on a tourist visa at the time and they wouldn't accept the case. We lagged on some of the documents but yes I agree it has been a very long time. The case is in the review process all of her documents have already been accepted in the system and during the review process since my mom's 2017 taxes weren't available they asked for a whole trove of documents for my dad instead. In fact when I filed the i-130 it took an entire year for them to when accept the petition! I then was waiting on further instructions from them based on what someone told me on the phone. When I heard nothing for a couple months I called and then they told me I had to start the online process with the nvc. Needless to say it has been a long time!

The requirement as stated is that you LIVE in the consular area of jurisdiction, but it's pretty much at the discretion of the officer you submit the application to and the evidence you submit.

Who May File or Receive Service:

U.S. citizens residing in USCIS Guangzhou's jurisdiction filing on behalf of their spouse, unmarried child under the age of 21 or parent (if the U.S. citizen is over the age 21).

from a member who asked

It seems this requirement has changed from time to time in exactly what the embassy requires, but this is what they told me through e-mail.

The petitioner must have a residence permit in China in order to file an I-130 with the Guangzhou Field Office. In lieu of a residence permit, the Guangzhou Field Office may accept other proof of residence, such as a lease agreement, job contract, etc. However, this evidence is evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

One of our members on a Q2 visa was told he needed to leave and return on a Q1 visa - I suggested that he simply head for the PSB and get a residence permit instead. That worked - he even got the same officer, who accepted the petition this time. But they did cancel his Q2.

Good luck - you've waited long enough.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)