Anyone travel to China with a small child?

I made a mistake. Actually, until you have revoked Chinese citizenship for the child (can only be done in China), the child would not have rights to U.S. Embassy protections while in China .... now, that would usually mean a person was arrested (doubt they are arresting one year olds). Anyway, rare chance you three would find yourselves in a legal jam. However, that risk is heightened by not having the correct travel documents.

I did make a mistake saying "traveling on a travel permit" (should have said "visa") but I also made a mistake thinking that the travel card changed her legal posture in China. Until, you revoke the citizenship in China, she will still be in that gray area.

You haven't said why you don't want the travel card. True that all three of you must appear at 1 East Erie St in Chicago (not 100 W. Erie St) to do the application (they take photo's of all of you). I agree the visa would be valid longer, but you should revoke citizenship on this first trip anyway. And, it was more costly and time consuming for us coming from Denver, but we had no choice. I would not have trusted a visa agency who told us we didn't need it.

Chinese visas are NOT issued to Chinese citizens, so IF he is able to get the visa, that is an acknowledgement of the American passport. Future visa applications won't require the birth certificate, or green card.

This is similar to what happens to adult Chinese citizens who naturalize as American citizens - their Chinese passport is simply voided when they apply for the first Chinese visa in their American passport - no formal renouncing of their citizenship is needed.

Then again, there's always the potential that someone might notice the breech of protocol.

But I don't think it's likely to go through.

The American consulate can and has helped even Chinese citizens, although legal issues are another matter entirely. There are still two dual American/Chinese citizens (children) being held under an exit ban - http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/49482-travel-advisory-from-us-dept-of-state/?do=findComment&comment=640550, so you may just want to follow Greg's advice.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

My wife ended up calling the consulate in Chicago and spoke to an (incredibly rude) employee regarding our daughter's travel. Turns out she will indeed need the travel card, which isn't a total shock since I got a bunch of feedback from you guys. We have an appointment set up for the day after labor day, so we'll drive down and combine it with a family visit/vacation (my parents live in Chicago).

• Like 1

My wife ended up calling the consulate in Chicago and spoke to an (incredibly rude) employee regarding our daughter's travel. . . . .

Yep, stepping out of that elevator at the consulate is like stepping into a little piece of China, but in Chicago.

What are the odds that the staff person was, in fact, just ordinary by Chinese standards and the last year and a half of visiting American doctors and hospitals made mama a little soft? :)

My wife ended up calling the consulate in Chicago and spoke to an (incredibly rude) employee regarding our daughter's travel. . . . .

Yep, stepping out of that elevator at the consulate is like stepping into a little piece of China, but in Chicago.

What are the odds that the staff person was, in fact, just ordinary by Chinese standards and the last year and a half of visiting American doctors and hospitals made mama a little soft? :)

Believe me if this was a shopkeeper or taxi driver or even government bureaucrat in China my wife would have no problems telling them to get bent. But best not to risk it when it come to our daughter's travel document haha. Let's just say the phone call ended with the employee angrily hanging up the phone after my wife asked how we could renounce our daughter's citizenship.