Filing US Taxes Married and Jointly for the First Time while waiting f

Hi Guys,

I have been scouring the pages for some how what is exactly needed when applying for the ITIN from the IRS.

My wife and I were married last year in China and are planing on filing my US Taxes jointly for our first time. She does not currently qualify for a SSN as she is Chinese and has never been to the US. We are currently based in Hebei province close to Beijing and submitted our application for her I-130 to USCIS in January.

According to the W7 instructions:

She has never been to the US (no date of entry stamp), thus, more documentation is required than her passport when submitting the W7.

She has both her ID card, a translated copy of her birth certificate from a Chinese Consulate (commonly know as the white book), and her passport.

My Question is, what is needed to make these "certified" so that the IRS will accept them as legitimate and process her W7 without any issues?

1) For her passport, if we take a photocopy and the original to get them notarized at a US Consulate, does that count as "Certified"?

2) Does a white book need to be authenticated by the Consulate before it can be used in the US?

3) Does a Chinese ID card also need a white book to translate it to be used?

Thanks in advance.

The Kings

Edited by kingsb (see edit history)

You provided a link to the answers when you posted this topic - right up there where it says 'ITIN'. Click on that. The topic Chengdu refused to give certified copy of passport would probably be most helpful.

Ignore the part about the refusal, and you'll see what they did to get the certified copy of the passport - THIS is what you need to submit with the W-7, and can ONLY be done at the American consulate (an IRS Acceptance Agent). An image of the passport certification is in Post # 11 of that topic. A detailed account of the whole process is at Post # 21.

The W-7 will be included with your tax return. Follow the instructions on the W-7 about where to submit it.

In general, do not re-certify white books - use them as is from Chinese authorities. But again, the certified copy of the passport is all you need for the W-7.

She will not need a white book for her Chinese ID.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Hi Guys,

I have been scouring the pages for some how what is exactly needed when applying for the ITIN from the IRS.

My wife and I were married last year in China and are planing on filing my US Taxes jointly for our first time. She does not currently qualify for a SSN as she is Chinese and has never been to the US. We are currently based in Hebei province close to Beijing and submitted our application for her I-130 to USCIS in January.

She has never been to the US (no date of entry stamp), thus, more documentation is required than her passport when submitting the W7.

She has both her ID card, a translated copy of her birth certificate from a Chinese Consulate (commonly know as the white book), and her passport.

My Question is, what is needed to make these "certified" so that the IRS will accept them as legitimate and process her W7 without any issues?

1) For her passport, if we take a photocopy and the original to get them notarized at a US Consulate, does that count as "Certified"?

2) Does a white book need to be authenticated by the Consulate before it can be used in the US?

Thanks in advance.

The Kings

The Chinese Consulates do not issue white books - I'm sure you meant her Gong Zheng Chu (公证处).

Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance.

The Kings

The extra documentation you refer to is used to establish U.S. residency. Your wife will not be able to do so since she has never been to the U.S. She will be classified as a Non-Resident Alien. "Your spouse is never considered a dependent." See "Spouse of U.S. citizen/Resident Alien".

She is a Non-Resident Alien Spouse of a U.S, citizen.

• Like 1