F2B application information questions

We applied for my stepson to come over back in 2015. At this point, the preferences are for May 1, 2012.

The question is this: If my stepson was in a third country (neither USA nor China) at the time his preference comes up, how can we make sure he is not missed? How does the USCIS notify him? Does it notify us, then assumes we will notify him? Or does the USCIS try to directly contact him according to the information we put into that I-130 four years ago? We have no idea if those addresses in China will still be valid at that point.

Thank you

I'm having trouble finding the right search terms, but this should give you the contacts:

Check My Immigrant Visa Petition Status

To check the status of your immigrant petition:

• If your petition has not yet been approved by USCIS, please visit the USCIS website. You must enter your application receipt number, which is a 13-digit receipt number starting with EAC, WAC, LIN or SRC, followed by numbers.
  • If USCIS has approved your petition, and notified you that it has been forwarded to the National Visa Center (NVC), please contact NVC.
  • If your petitioner and/or the authorized agent have/has received an interview appointment letter from the National Visa Center (NVC), please contact the U.S. Consulate General Guangzhou. Please note that cases normally take several weeks to reach the U.S. Consulate General Guangzhou from NVC.