State Department warning to Chinese green card holders

Hello,

I have not been on here in a long time. My wife and stepdaughter migrated to the USA in 2011 and besides a few hiccups, everything has been going well. Both of them are still green card holders.

I saw this warning on the State Department web site to Chinese citizens living in the USA about returning to their country. It stated that the government is investigating people living overseas and they could stop you from leaving should you visit family members. We were planning on traveling to China over the Thanksgiving week, but my Mother-In-Law called last week and said the local authorities had stopped at her house and were asking if my wife still lived there and where she is now living. Well, that spooked them all and now the trip is on hold.

Anybody hear of anything like this?

Hello,

I have not been on here in a long time. My wife and stepdaughter migrated to the USA in 2011 and besides a few hiccups, everything has been going well. Both of them are still green card holders.

I saw this warning on the State Department web site to Chinese citizens living in the USA about returning to their country. It stated that the government is investigating people living overseas and they could stop you from leaving should you visit family members. We were planning on traveling to China over the Thanksgiving week, but my Mother-In-Law called last week and said the local authorities had stopped at her house and were asking if my wife still lived there and where she is now living. Well, that spooked them all and now the trip is on hold.

Anybody hear of anything like this?

Why don't you post it, or at least a link to it ?? Do they live in Xinjiang?

Sounds more like they are looking for green card holders NOT living in the USA, not persons who live on the states and simply visiting the home country for a short time such as a month or so.

Sounds more like they are looking for green card holders NOT living in the USA, not persons who live on the states and simply visiting the home country for a short time such as a month or so.

No - the Chinese government would be looking for dissidents living in the US in an effort to apply pressure to family members still living in China.

See Xinjiang residents under tight control

and

Miss World Canada

I just checked my wife's green card - it expires on Oct 10 - I doubt that anyone will care.

Her family lives in Nanjing. Here is the warning. It is dated January 22, 2018 and is on the State Department web site:

Exercise increased caution in China due to the arbitrary enforcement of local laws and special restrictions on dual U.S.-Chinese nationals.

Chinese authorities have the broad ability to prohibit travelers from leaving China (also known as ‘exit bans’); exit bans have been imposed to compel U.S. citizens to resolve business disputes, force settlement of court orders, or facilitate government investigations. Individuals not involved in legal proceedings or suspected of wrongdoing have also be subjected to lengthy exit bans in order to compel their family members or colleagues to cooperate with Chinese courts or investigators.

U.S. citizens visiting or residing in China have been arbitrarily interrogated or detained for reasons related to “state security.” Security personnel have detained and/or deported U.S. citizens for sending private electronic messages critical of the Chinese government.

China may refuse to acknowledge dual U.S.-Chinese nationals’ U.S. citizenship, including denying U.S. assistance to detained dual nationals, and preventing their departure from China. If a dual U.S.-Chinese national enters China on a Chinese government travel document, such as, but not limited to, a Chinese passport or a national ID card, U.S. consular officers will not be allowed to visit the individual or assist in interactions with the Chinese government should the individual be arrested, detained, or involved in criminal or civil investigation.

If you plan to enter North Korea from China, read the North Korea Travel Advisory.

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.

If you decide to travel to China:

• Enter China on your U.S. passport with a valid Chinese visa.
  • If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy or the nearest consulate immediately.
  • Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
  • Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter. Follow the U.S. Embassy on Twitter, WeChat, and Weibo.
  • Review the Crime and Safety Reports for China.
  • U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Edited by joyridin (see edit history)

Yes - that's pretty much of a generic warning - business as usual.

There does not seem to be anything specific behind it.

Unless your wife ALSO has a US passport, she would not be considered a dual U.S.-Chinese national.

my Mother-In-Law called last week and said the local authorities had stopped at her house and were asking if my wife still lived there and where she is now living.

This is highly unusual, but we've even heard of American visitors (from the consulate, checking up on visa applicants) doing this. It's surprising that they would check up on her like that, but just as surprising that they would even notice.

Maybe I read this wrong. She does not have dual citizenship. I did not think China allowed that. She just has a green card and she will be entering/exiting China with her Chinese Passport.

Maybe it is all just a coincidence. After reading the article again, it does sound like they are pegging American citizens traveling to China using Chinese Passports and/or paperwork.

Maybe I read this wrong. She does not have dual citizenship. I did not think China allowed that. She just has a green card and she will be entering/exiting China with her Chinese Passport.

Maybe it is all just a coincidence. After reading the article again, it does sound like they are pegging American citizens traveling to China using Chinese Passports and/or paperwork.

Yes - that explains why it's risky traveling to China with two passports (yes, people do that). NOT recommended, although some people get away with it.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

My wife and I traveled to Chongqing and stayed for two weeks in February, and for two weeks in May, this year. She is on the last of her current green card and there was no problem entering or exiting China. I am more worried about submitting for the renewal of her green card the end of this week, than traveling to, and in China.

My wife and I traveled to Chongqing and stayed for two weeks in February, and for two weeks in May, this year. She is on the last of her current green card and there was no problem entering or exiting China. I am more worried about submitting for the renewal of her green card the end of this week, than traveling to, and in China.

That wasn't a bad process as long as you have all the paperwork. I assume she applied for a permanent GC and the 2 year is done?