Don't check the box to have SSN generated

We found this out after a 6 hour wait at our local social security office today. It sounds like (in theory) a good idea to check the box on your immigration form to get your social security card generated.

DON'T DO IT !!! DON"T FOLLOW MY STOOOOPIDITY!!! We found out that

• If you DON'T check the box on immigration form to get your social security card generated then you can get a number immediately and the SSN card will be sent to you within 2 weeks from Baltimore MD

• If you DO CHECK THE BOX on your immigration form then you have to wait a month, there is a likelihood (based on reports on both this and other immigration forums) that it won't arrive and you will have to go to Social Security office to get a number anyway and you have just wasted over a month of time and still must wait another 2 weeks to get your card mailed from Baltimore MD

• According to the Soc Security official I spoke to today, they have no way of talking to USCIS.

George W Bush had this as a goal, but in practice it is not happening - - -

---------------------------------------------

sign me as,

Truly Stooooopid Blue in the Face

Thanks Randy,

We will give it a try. Apparently we must wait at least 2 weeks because so far Social Security has no record that she is in the country.

Ran into the same issue with Healthcare.gov (affordable Care Act aka Obamacare) trying to complete an insurance application to buy unsubsidized (full price) health care for her. Her Alien registration number keeps coming back invalid so I was told try again in 2 to 4 weeks.

BTW if you ever wondered what a broken glass enema would feel like, try completing the insurance application for Obamacare. I tried going directly to several nationwide insurance companies to purchase health insurance direct and avoid dealing with Obamacare but Obamacare application through the marketplace is the only way you can get coverage for pre existing conditions.