in the Sixth Tone

Nut Cases: How Foreign Viral Video Stars Are Defying Stereotypes
Young foreigners are finding popularity online by putting their experiences in China front and center

http://image5.sixthtone.com/image/5/11/660.jpg

A 23-year-old Israeli, Galor received his bachelor’s degree from Peking University. In 2016, Galor founded a startup with Chinese classmate Fang Yedun, and they now run one of the most popular social media accounts that depicts the daily lives of foreigners in China and has 2.28 million followers on Twitter-like Weibo. The startup’s Chinese name translates to “The Crooked Nuts Research Institute,” and is a pun on the Chinese word for “foreigner,” which ― when said in a foreign accent ― can sound like “crooked nut.” This malapropism has become a popular and amusing ― if gently and friendly teasing ― way of referring to foreigners among Chinese.

• Like 1

I guess our two guys missed out on that idea. 2.28 million subscribers. Now a person could live on that as long as it lasted. I see so many of these kids doing some of the stupidest things and making millions of dollars a year at it too. I follow one that drives Corvettes and Lamborghinis. It's beyond my comprehension. I am now officially an old geezer.