Second Post, getting married in Beijing

Ok, this is my Second post. First the biographical Data about me and my Girl. My name is Ross Yarlott, i was born in Napa, Ca april, 5 1979. I am Currently teaching in Beijing. My Girls Name is Dung Huan (Gloria) She was born March 28, 1981 Xi'an, Shaanxi Province. She is currently a Senior in COlelge and is about to graduate. We want to move together to the US by nextyear, and I heard from everyone here that the CR1 process can take as little as 5 months. Which would put us back in the US at the start of the school year, whihc is good because we both need some Post-grad degree's. There's the base. These are my questions: First, can she get married in Beijing and not get kciked out of school? (Her Uncle, who is an administrator and professor at her school told her she could) Second, do you thinnk we will be able to get back to the US by Sept? Third, What exactly is required in gettign a CR1. And fourth, and a thought that just came to my mind, if we get married will my assets back in the states be under joint control? (I've got about 50k) ??? Thanks in advance

Ross

I can answer some of your questions:

>Second, do you thinnk we will be able to get back to the US by Sept?

I think it takes about 1 month for you to get married and obtain the certificate, you can start applying your CR1 beginning of May or end of April, maybe you are not able to get the CR1 visa until November 2004.

>Third, What exactly is required in gettign a CR1

at the time of applying, you are requested to prepare following:

-I-130

-G-325A(for both of you)

-birth and marriage notarizaion

-immigration photoes(for both of you)

-your passport copy(including your Chinese visa page)

-your wife's passport copy

-copy of your residence certificate in China

-US$130

It takes about 7 days to get P2, and couple of month for P3, upon receiving your P3, you are required to prepare the additional documents.(tax statement in previous 3 years, and financial guarantee and so on)

For more details of how to apply CR1 in China, please ask your fiancee to check out the following link

how to apply CR1 in China

Thanks, i will get her to look at that, later today probally. Some one else said that they were the youngest person on the board at 27, since im Just about to turn 25, and have at least 6 more months here, in china, and then everything else, I would have to say that im the youngest!

Ross,

Good luck with everything.

Look at the residency requirements for "Direct Consular Filing".... I think you have to be in China for a period of time, and have a valid work visa in China.

If you don't qualify for the CR1 for some reason, then consider getting married in Hong Kong. It is supposed to make some things with the K3 easier.

As far as assets, $50K may be a little short.

Your "income" must be 125% of the Federal Poverty Level, see the following:

http://travel.state.gov/povert.html

If you base it on assets, then you take 1/5 the value of the assets and add it to the income.

For $50 Assets, then you can use 1/5 or $10K.

According to the table, for 2 people, 125% --> $15,150. Thus, you would need to demonstrate an additional $5K in "income".

If you can't make the income requirements, you can have a co-sponsor, for example, a parent who can fill out the I-134 / I-864 (sorry, I'm not sure which form you will need).

Best of Luck,

Clifford

Guest mike&nico

Hey Ross,

Yo man, we're almost in the exact same situation! I'm 26, my wife is a senior in college, we got married 3/5/04 in shanghai. Last year we were worried about her getting kicked out too, but since 2004, the new marriage laws make it much easier to get married. She just needs to bring her hukou and ID card. You need your passport and certificate of marriagebility (from the Consulate for $50). That's it! Took 1 hour.

The biggest problem: even though i've been living in shanghai for 2 years, I didn't have a Z visa. Without it you can't do anything.

To get my Z visa I had to use some serious guanxi. Looked around for friends of friends who own a company in china willing to hire me as a consultant. We were even considering starting our own company for 3000rmb. After getting a labor contract and copy of business license, i had to get a medical exam. Then there are some other registration steps. It easily takes over a month just to get the Z. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive.

We're just starting too! good luck!

mike and nico

Guest mike&nico

oh yeah, to clarify, it used to be that she needed permission from her 'danwei' (employer) to register marriage, in this case her school. but now she doesn't so the school is not involved and is not notified about the marriage.

mike and nico

Hey Ross and Mike!!

I'm 27.......Looks like the young guns are taking over!! LOL!! Good luck to both of you. Nicola and I are almost done. We have about 2 or so more months left. It really doesn't take that long. Its also easier for you two because your living with your wives right now!! Good luck :blink:

As I have been told, there is the possibility of her being released from the school, and the possibility of her having to repay the cost of her education.

Her uncle will know that and probably know the possibility/risk of her marrying while still enrolled.

Start the paperwork, take your time, and ask questions here if you need help/questions arise.

Best wishes and God bless the both of you.

Jeff :blink:

Hong Kong marriage is quick and painless. The best thing is, if you have to go the K3 route insted of CR1, it cuts a couple of months off the process from the way it looks on average.

I know the marriage laws in China are a lot more relaxed than they were before but that doens't help with getting the visa... you're ultimate goal.

This is an interesting topic, since I also got married in China, in early February. I did nto have any residence status in China and was not immediately considering bring my wife to the USA. I obtained all the necessary certifications, as outlined on the Chinese Counsulate web page in Houston. I was was married in Wuhan. It was my understanding that if a Chinese woman married a foreigner, she has to be married in her home province. We also made a trip to the provincial notarial office after the marriage was registered and I am still not clear what was done or filed during that visit. As for joint assets after marriage, I would be concerned about that. In the state where I live, assests owned prior to marriage are not considered marital assets.