Chinese dress at US prom

Well, if it comes up on both the SCMP and YouTube, maybe it's worth a mention, but maybe there wasn't really much of a backlash

After criticism of student Keziah Daum’s Twitter post showing her wearing the traditional qipao, Chinese commenters call it cultural appreciation, not appropriation

DbZ-FvoUwAAFYiV.jpg

Keziah Daum, an 18-year-old from Utah in the United States, who has no Chinese roots, was accused of “cultural appropriation” after posting photographs on Twitter that featured her in a traditional Chinese qipao, or cheongsam.
The dress symbolised a silent protest to promote gender equality after the fall of the dynasties and the beginning of the republican period in the early 1900s, and was worn during the 1919 reformist May Fourth Movement.
Daum has stood by her decision to wear the dress, which was red and embroidered with gold and black, and told the South China Morning Post it projected a “wonderful message”. She has not deleted her original April 22 post.

So SerpentZA weghed in with a bit of a rant

This one is kind of nuts, what about chinese and other asian cultures wearing western clothing styles, or native Americans no longer wearing traditional native american clothing. America has always been about sharing culture, not seperating people by ancestry and saying its taboo to wear and apreciate other cultural styles.

What the heck is wrong with aprecialting other cultures styles? When my wife and I were married I wore an Asian style jacket to our reception and weding ceramony, it offended no one either Chinese or Western.

The people offended are professional whiners. It's just recreational outrage. They feel important by whining about something. People need to stop kowtowing to them. They clearly don't realize that the reason they have culture in the first place is because someone else shared it with them. Culture is essentially just ideas, and the free exchange of ideas is the reason we're not still living in caves.

Girl gets bullied and shamed by mobs of people who claim they seek a fair and equal world for everyone, just for wearing a dress. Shows how truly compassionate they are.

• Like 3

Girl gets bullied and shamed by mobs of people who claim they seek a fair and equal world for everyone, just for wearing a dress. Shows how truly compassionate they are.

Not true - she is NOT a victim here. The attention she's getting is almost exclusively supportive

Daum has stood by her decision to wear the dress, which was red and embroidered with gold and black, and told the South China Morning Post it projected a “wonderful message”. She has not deleted her original April 22 post.

. . .

One person commented it represented female empowerment,” she wrote. “If that is the case, then it is a wonderful message for any young woman my age to learn, regardless of culture and background.

• Like 1

I think it looks very elegant and commend her for an excellent choice. Chinese formal clothes always look great, IMO!!!

On the other hand, many American "fashions" are too revealing or too glitzy and look rather low class. Just watch any awards show on TV and you will see 3 put of 4 "fashions" really don't look very good.

Classic styles like the Chinese dress worn to the prom are always in good taste.

• Like 1

Quotes from various Internet spots . . .

"The reason you're likely hearing about it now is that several UK tabloids have started reporting on the topic, as controversy tends to lead to more site visits and comments."
It's click-bait.
"It's a fucking dress", people

• Like 2