China ¡°blacklist¡± - should we be concerned?

So, the jealous ex is at it again...

My wife is formally on China’s blacklist, or those that are forbidden to buy anything extravagant or travel. She tried to buy tickets for a family trip to another city and was denied because she was trying to buy good tickets. Her ex went to the court to say she wasn’t paying him per their divorce agreement (she had) and then saying she denied him access to his daughter (she hadn’t). She’s been to 2 different judges on 5 occasions and each time they say they will take her off, but nothing seems to happen.

A question- is this something to be concerned about for a spouse visa application? Would they deny her in the consulate? Anyone else have issues with the blacklist?

She’s obviously upset, and I’m concerned and frustrated. I don’t understand how he can lie to the court without being in trouble himself, but then again there is a lot that happens there I’ll never understand.

I know absolutely nothing about the issue between her and the ex-husband, but after living in China for five years, I do know a little about how these kind of things can work. Is it possible the husband has paid a judge or someone in power to put, and keep her on a "black list"? On the other hand, is it possible to pay someone to get her off? I know none of this is fair, but believe me, it happens, especially in local areas. When we were getting documents for Li's visa (way back in 2001), we had to pay no less than four different people, including head of her work unit, police chief, official that issued birth certificate and at least one other guy. Like I said, I don't know about your situation, but it might be worth checking into.

The "social credit system" is fairly new - See The "Social Credit Blacklist" here on CFL. It's sad to see someone providing an answer to my question in that topic.

On March 2, Chinese authorities announced a broader regulation for the country’s social credit system that outlined punishments for those who commit transgressions like spreading rumors related to terrorism, misbehaving on airplanes, or engaging in fraudulent activities. Such people, the regulation stated, could be prohibited from traveling on trains and planes for up to a year. The rule will go into effect nationwide on May 1, according to a statement on the website of the National Development and Reform Commission.

. . .

More than nine million Chinese have been denied air transportation and over three million people have been prohibited from buying soft sleeper train and bullet train tickets due to their poor credit performance, Zhang Yong, deputy head of the National Development and Reform Commission told a press conference.
. . .
China started to build a social credit system in 2014 and an open national credit information online platform is already in place where honest people and enterprises are honored while poor credit performers like defaulting debtors and taxpayers are blacklisted.

As far as immigration is concerned, though, I doubt that you have anything to worry about. I would treat it as a non-issue, unless you find out otherwise.

You are the first that I know of to bring it up regarding an immigration petition.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

I know absolutely nothing about the issue between her and the ex-husband, but after living in China for five years, I do know a little about how these kind of things can work. Is it possible the husband has paid a judge or someone in power to put, and keep her on a "black list"? On the other hand, is it possible to pay someone to get her off? I know none of this is fair, but believe me, it happens, especially in local areas. When we were getting documents for Li's visa (way back in 2001), we had to pay no less than four different people, including head of her work unit, police chief, official that issued birth certificate and at least one other guy. Like I said, I don't know about your situation, but it might be worth checking into.

The climate has changed dramatically - my brother-in-law put himself in a state of self-exile from Yulin after the mayor he had given bribes to was executed - around 15 or 20 years ago.

While"greasing the wheels" CAN work in some cases, they are also nature's way of announcing that you are a rich foreigner and THIS is what you think of their crumby legal system.

The word doesn't seem to be in my wife's vocabulary.

The climate has changed dramatically - my brother-in-law put himself in a state of self-exile from Yulin after the mayor he had given bribes to was executed - around 15 or 20 years ago.

While"greasing the wheels" CAN work in some cases, they are also nature's way of announcing that you are a rich foreigner and THIS is what you think of their crumby legal system.

The word doesn't seem to be in my wife's vocabulary.

Randy, back in our day, we never offered a bribe, so we were not "announcing we were rich foreigners." In each case, the official asked for the money and refused to act until he got it. I am glad to hear times have changed, but it does still go on in many areas. We have two friends who are dealing with the same situation right now, one in Jiangsu and another in Anhui. I am not sure about the "black list" issue. In those two cases, it does not enter into the picture. It is simply officials asking for palms to be greased. Like I said, I am glad to hear things are getting better - but I am sure it still goes on in certain locations.

I don't think it would affect the visa petition process however I am not sure about exit control when exiting China, not sure if they would prevent leaving the country.