What birth certificate do I need?

Hi?

I was born after 1996, so I have a standard green medical certificate of birth, however we are having trouble getting notarial certificate of birth, because my mother is not available and they asked for her ID. Is the medical certificate of birth alone enough for i130 and i485 application? thanks!

I-485? What type of visa are you adjusting from?

As for Birth Cert, there are a few posts regarding aquiring the Notary Certificate, if state side filing of the I-485, more than likely USCIS will accept what you have if there is a translation attached to it.

Also it in not needed to be attached to the I-130 petiion, its needed later at a visa interview or if filing the I-485 it is attached to the I-485/

Lastly treat the I-130 and the I-485 as if being filed independently, do not share things between them. make two copies of things that may be common between them.

Hi?

I was born after 1996, so I have a standard green medical certificate of birth, however we are having trouble getting notarial certificate of birth, because my mother is not available and they asked for her ID. Is the medical certificate of birth alone enough for i130 and i485 application? thanks!

???

What trouble are you having? They should be able to produce a notarial medical certificate of birth directly from your medical birth certificate.

At the consulate - http://lawandborder.com/birth-certificate-china-immigrant-visa/

They simply ask for a “certified copy of the birth certificate issued by a local notary public office” (“由当地公证处出具的出生公证书”).

see http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/608984-medical-certificate-of-birth-notary-vs-birth-notary/

The old notarial certificate of birth was produced from hukou information

According to the Dept. of State - https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/China.html

Original medical certificates of birth (Chu Sheng Yi Xue Zheng Ming) are available starting from 1996. Also available are notarial birth certificates, which are secondary evidence. Due to the lack of a standardized format for birth certificates prior to 1996, original medical certificate of birth (when available) along with a notarial certificate of birth should be requested.

If you are asking for a 出生公证书, or chu sheng gong zheng shu, which is generated from the hukou and ID information, you may need to INSTEAD ask for a Notarial Document or Certificate based on the birth certificate. The designation for the Notarial Certificate is Gong Zheng Shu, or 公证书.

They should be able to generate a Notarial Certificate from ANY document, not just those based on the hukou. Ask for a 出生医学证明公证书, or Chūshēng yīxué zhèngmíng gōngzhèng shū

If they still refuse, then I would simply turn in the birth certificate as is, along with an explanation that the Notarial Certificate could not be generated, and identify the Gong Zheng Chu, or 公证处 that declined it.

The Guangzhou consulate REQUIRES the notarial certificates of medical birth (出生医学证明公证书), but the USCIS in the United States MAY NOT need it for your Adjustment of Status. Your birth certificate is already in English AND Chinese.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

I-485? What type of visa are you adjusting from?

As for Birth Cert, there are a few posts regarding aquiring the Notary Certificate, if state side filing of the I-485, more than likely USCIS will accept what you have if there is a translation attached to it.

Also it in not needed to be attached to the I-130 petiion, its needed later at a visa interview or if filing the I-485 it is attached to the I-485/

Lastly treat the I-130 and the I-485 as if being filed independently, do not share things between them. make two copies of things that may be common between them.

I am adjusting from f1 visa. so what you are saying is that if I'm applying within the country, most likely my medical birth certificate is fine?

Hi?

???

What trouble are you having? They should be able to produce a notarial medical certificate of birth directly from your medical birth certificate.

At the consulate - http://lawandborder.com/birth-certificate-china-immigrant-visa/

They simply ask for a “certified copy of the birth certificate issued by a local notary public office” (“由当地公证处出具的出生公证书”).

see http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/608984-medical-certificate-of-birth-notary-vs-birth-notary/

According to the Dept. of State - https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/China.html

Original medical certificates of birth (Chu Sheng Yi Xue Zheng Ming) are available starting from 1996. Also available are notarial birth certificates, which are secondary evidence. Due to the lack of a standardized format for birth certificates prior to 1996, original medical certificate of birth (when available) along with a notarial certificate of birth should be requested.

If you are asking for a 出生公证书, or chu sheng gong zheng shu, which is generated from the hukou and ID information, you may need to INSTEAD ask for a Notarial Document or Certificate based on the birth certificate. The designation for the Notarial Certificate is Gong Zheng Shu, or 公证书.

They should be able to generate a Notarial Certificate from ANY document, not just those based on the hukou. Ask for a 出生医学证明公证书, or Chūshēng yīxué zhèngmíng gōngzhèng shū

If they still refuse, then I would simply turn in the birth certificate as is, along with an explanation that the Notarial Certificate could not be generated, and identify the Gong Zheng Chu, or 公证处 that declined it.

The Guangzhou consulate REQUIRES the notarial certificates of medical birth (出生医学证明公证书), but the USCIS in the United States MAY NOT need it for your Adjustment of Status. Your birth certificate is already in English AND Chinese.

We have problems getting the 出生公证书, or chu sheng gong zheng shu, medical certificate of birth is not the only documents needed, they ask for my mother's ID which we can't get it, she left a long time ago.

ok so what you are saying is that , instead of asking for 出生公证书, or chu sheng gong zheng shu, ask for a 出生医学证明公证书, or Chūshēng yīxué zhèngmíng gōngzhèng shū, which is based on medical certificate of birth only, this will work as well?

And also, what you are saying is that if I'm applying in the U.S., I might not even need 出生医学证明公证书, or Chūshēng yīxué zhèngmíng gōngzhèng shū, I just need my medical certificate of birth itself?

So pretty much the old notarial certificate of birth, 出生公证书, or chu sheng gong zheng shu, is useless for me?

Edited by maxironajbm (see edit history)

Hi?

???

"Original medical certificates of birth (Chu Sheng Yi Xue Zheng Ming) are available starting from 1996. Also available are notarial birth certificates, which are secondary evidence. Due to the lack of a standardized format for birth certificates prior to 1996, original medical certificate of birth (when available) along with a notarial certificate of birth should be requested. "

We have problems getting the 出生公证书, or chu sheng gong zheng shu, medical certificate of birth is not the only documents needed, they ask for my mother's ID which we can't get it, she left a long time ago.

ok so what you are saying is that , instead of asking for 出生公证书, or chu sheng gong zheng shu, ask for a 出生医学证明公证书, or Chūshēng yīxué zhèngmíng gōngzhèng shū, which is based on medical certificate of birth only, this will work as well?

And also, what you are saying is that if I'm applying in the U.S., I might not even need 出生医学证明公证书, or Chūshēng yīxué zhèngmíng gōngzhèng shū, I just need my medical certificate of birth itself?

So pretty much the old notarial certificate of birth, 出生公证书, or chu sheng gong zheng shu, is useless for me?

Yes - exactly. But if you can easily get the 出生医学证明公证书, it MIGHT be worthwhile to do so.

People who were issued the medical certificate of birth are only now coming to a marriageable age. That is why it is so rare.

Yes - exactly. But if you can easily get the 出生医学证明公证书, it MIGHT be worthwhile to do so.

People who were issued the medical certificate of birth are only now coming to a marriageable age. That is why it is so rare.

ok. So I guess the marriage certificate issued after 1996 now are usable, just need to be notarized instead of getting a completely different notarial certificate of birth.

Hope everything works out, guess I will be one of the early adopters..don't want to be an example of failure...

Just one more question, you quoted from consulate, They simply ask for a “certified copy of the birth certificate issued by a local notary public office” (“由当地公证处出具的出生公证书”).

The Chinese part still says the old notarial certificate of birth, I wonder why is that?

ok. So I guess the marriage certificate issued after 1996 now are usable, just need to be notarized instead of getting a completely different notarial certificate of birth.

Hope everything works out, guess I will be one of the early adopters..don't want to be an example of failure...

Just one more question, you quoted from consulate, They simply ask for a “certified copy of the birth certificate issued by a local notary public office” (“由当地公证处出具的出生公证书”).

The Chinese part still says the old notarial certificate of birth, I wonder why is that?

I'm at a disadvantage, since I'm using Google translate here, but it tells me that it says Birth certificate issued by local notary office, and NOT notarial certificate of birth - a subtle difference of wording that's probably just been carried over without an update.

The white book format 公证书 issued by the 公证处 IS required by the consulate, even for the new medical birth certificates. That's why I'm suggesting you go ahead and get one.

They may catch up to the NEW format birth certificates, but, so far, I haven't heard of one being accepted at the consulate, without a 出生医学证明公证书.

The white book format 公证书 issued by the 公证处 IS required by the consulate, even for the new medical birth certificates. That's why I'm suggesting you go ahead and get one.

They may catch up to the NEW format birth certificates, but, so far, I haven't heard of one being accepted at the consulate.

but have you heard of one being accepted by USCIS? and also (“由当地公证处出具的出生公证书”). it says 出生公证书 instead of 出生医学证明公证书, so I guess in the consulate they still ask for a 出生公证书?

They may catch up to the NEW format birth certificates, but, so far, I haven't heard of one being accepted at the consulate.

but have you heard of one being accepted by USCIS? and also (“由当地公证处出具的出生公证书”). it says 出生公证书 instead of 出生医学证明公证书, so I guess in the consulate they still ask for a 出生公证书?

We EXPECT (but don't know) that you'll be okay - that a USCIS clerk will look at your medical birth certificate and accept it at face value, without being aware of the history at the consulate.

The new format is more in line with what they see from other countries.

• Like 1

Should be fine with the birth certificate you have if it is not in English, you will need to attach a translation to it, it can be a literal translation and simply certified by someone conversant in both languages they sign their translation and note that they are conversant in both languages and provide contact info.

As for F1, you should have no issues adjusting status, my wife's cousin was in Texas for college and married someone and adjusted status without issues. Easy to show your intent was college and found a mate.

Should be fine with the birth certificate you have if it is not in English, you will need to attach a translation to it, it can be a literal translation and simply certified by someone conversant in both languages they sign their translation and note that they are conversant in both languages and provide contact info.

As for F1, you should have no issues adjusting status, my wife's cousin was in Texas for college and married someone and adjusted status without issues. Easy to show your intent was college and found a mate.

I am less concerned about other parts of the application. Just worried about the birth certificate part. Most people are born before 1996 and used the traditional notarial certificate of birth, which I don't have, but I have the new medical certificate of birth, I just can't really find many posts that are similar to mine. Just hope that they can accept my medical certificate of birth as it is.

Edited by maxironajbm (see edit history)