Hi All,

It’s been about three months since our son was born and I wanted to have him get his passport/ssn taken care of. But we are in Hangzhou and the easiest location for us is the Shanghai embassy. On the website we are unable to select any date for that reason at all, but for Beijing or Guangzhou we are able to select a date.

My question is , does the Shanghai embassy handle newborn baby passports anymore? It would be a hassle for us to go all the way to Guangzhou for this if we can avoid it. Also he has an English name and we aren’t applying for a chinese passport, probably obvious just wanted to be clear.

Bill

Passport services are under U.S. Citizen Services, including the Shanghai Consulate.

The CRBA is basically an Americanized version of the baby's birth certificate - not strictly necessary, but, yes - GET ONE.

Home | U.S. Citizen Services | Child and Family Matters | Birth

Please use the links to the right to arrange for a CRBA appointment. Please note, to have a CRBA appointment in Shanghai, you must email all the necessary forms and supporting documents to the consulate ahead of time. Once the consulate reviews your documents, they will contact you to arrange an appointment. To apply in Beijing, Chengdu, Guangzhou, and Shenyang, you must first schedule an appointment.

email address for the Shanghai consulate - U.S. Consulate General Shanghai

To make an appointment for the passport - ACS Appointment System https://evisaforms.state.gov/Instructions/ACSSchedulingSystem.asp- Shanghai IS on the list.

You will need an exit visa from the PSB Entry & Exit Bureau - they have been known to put people through H*** over this, even requiring a Chinese name and passport. The American consulate can step in and provide a "pro-forma" visitor's visa for the Chinese passport, IF NECESSARY. Hopefully, they are no longer doing this.

As part of the process of applying for the Exit Visa, you may need to sign forms renouncing the child's Chinese citizenship.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

We just got our "travel document" for our US citizen, US passport holding son born in the US (at the consulate in Chicago). Only good for two years. Looks like a passport (blue cover, Chinese writing)

Is that what you mean by "exit visa"? When we go to China in another year or two to "renounce his Chinese citizenship" in China we will be in immediate need of an exit visa for him, I guess.

I am told our travel document/book is essentially a record of his houkou as well. Yes, we had to provide a Chinese name - which was provided by our Chinese MIL!

We just got our "travel document" for our US citizen, US passport holding son born in the US (at the consulate in Chicago). Only good for two years. Looks like a passport (blue cover, Chinese writing)

Is that what you mean by "exit visa"? When we go to China in another year or two to "renounce his Chinese citizenship" in China we will be in immediate need of an exit visa for him, I guess.

I am told our travel document/book is essentially a record of his houkou as well. Yes, we had to provide a Chinese name - which was provided by our Chinese MIL!

Yes - a travel document can be either an exit visa, or both an exit and entry visa for those who need it to return to China (British passport holders are given a level of grief similar to yours).

Greg's wife had not yet been awarded her green card at the time of birth of their son, so under the Chinese Nationality Law, he was a Chinese citizen, and could not be given a Chinese visa, even though he was born in the U.S.

That's why renouncing citizenship is important - I believe this must be done at the PSB Entry & Exit Bureau in China.

Passport services are under U.S. Citizen Services, including the Shanghai Consulate.

The CRBA is basically an Americanized version of the baby's birth certificate - not strictly necessary, but, yes - GET ONE.

Please use the links to the right to arrange for a CRBA appointment. Please note, to have a CRBA appointment in Shanghai, you must email all the necessary forms and supporting documents to the consulate ahead of time. Once the consulate reviews your documents, they will contact you to arrange an appointment. To apply in Beijing, Chengdu, Guangzhou, and Shenyang, you must first schedule an appointment.

To make an appointment for the passport - ACS Appointment System https://evisaforms.state.gov/Instructions/ACSSchedulingSystem.asp- Shanghai IS on the list.

You will need an exit visa from the PSB Entry & Exit Bureau - they have been known to put people through H*** over this, even requiring a Chinese name and passport. The American consulate can step in and provide a "pro-forma" visitor's visa for the Chinese passport, IF NECESSARY. Hopefully, they are no longer doing this.

As part of the process of applying for the Exit Visa, you may need to sign forms renouncing the child's Chinese citizenship.

Hi Randy,

Thanks for the detailed information but when I try to make an appointment under the second choice which is for a new passport for a child there are no dates to pick at any time. When I pick other cities, I can see dates for them under the same selection.

So for his new passport , I have to email all documents firstly then make the appointment? I will send them an email today for follow up...

Bill

Hi Randy,

Thanks for the detailed information but when I try to make an appointment under the second choice which is for a new passport for a child there are no dates to pick at any time. When I pick other cities, I can see dates for them under the same selection.

So for his new passport , I have to email all documents firstly then make the appointment? I will send them an email today for follow up...

Bill

I see MANY dates open for passport services (MWF), but, yes. you'll need to email first for the CRBA.

Yeah exactly the first selection has many dates open true, the second option for a new passport / report birth abroad has no dates at all which is odd since other cities have plenty of choices for the same option.

Thanks for your help as usual!!

Bill

Yes - notice that Shanghai is listed SEPARATELY on this site for the CRBA - https://china.usembassy-china.org.cn/u-s-citizen-services/child-family-matters/birth/

The link for Shanghai goes to YOUR EMAIL CLIENT.