I am shopping around for some Chinese television for Bing to watch when she gets here. The options for Portland are Dish network which has a couple of packages with 6 or 9 channels for $24.99 plus basic top 60 which is another $24.99, I could do Jade world on Direct TV for $39.99 with no other programing or I can add CCTV to my comcast cable for $19.99 including the cable box I would have to add. Seems a little spendy for one channel but it would be my cheapest overall option. Is CCTV any good?

I think CCTV has totally 12 channels:

CCTV1£­basic channel.

CCTV5- sports channel. If Bing like watching soccer, then it would be a good choice. I was told it is not easy to watch soccer game in the States, not popular there, but very very popular here in China;

CCTV6- movie channel. IMHO, I dislike this channel. The movie shown here is out-dated, and most of the foreign movies are dubbed movies, without subtitles. I'd rather watch DVDs.

CCTV8- news channel, not bad (not good either), I usded to watch extensively last April when SARS was spreding in China; It did provide some backgrounds about the lifes and current issues in China.

CCTV9- English programme channel, some news, cultural backgrounds, and other stuffs.

Other channel, I can remember exactly the details, not much interesting stuff.

I prefer Shanghai local programmes, the one that I like best is documentary channel, there are some good documentaries there. (from Discovery Channel, and National Geographic Channel, and so on)

I found following info about CCTV-4 from google search engine:

With an objective approach, CCTV-4 introduces various aspects of China to the rest of the world-politics, economy, society, culture, science, education, and history, acting as a window on China for overseas audiences and a bridge between China and the rest of the world. Its goal is to deepen mutual understanding and promote friendship.

Unquote

I can hardly remember I watched any programs from CCTV-4. I can only say that part of them could be informative(such as some documentary on crruent issues in China, they are shown in CCTV-1 at first, and then in CCTV-4 afterwards), but not all.

If your Ping is interesting in watching some Chinese(including HK and Taiwan)TV dramas, there are dozens of website that selling videos for TV dramas from Asia, with reasonable price, some of them could be delivered to overseas.

Personally, I would suggest subscribing Phoenix Star TV, its headquarter is located in HK, focusing on issues in mainland, HK, and Taiwan. Check it out: phoenix star TV Not sure it is available or not in your area.

I have a link to online TV stations in the Links & Resources folder.

Carl, if there's only one chair, why can't she sit on your lap?  :D

Actually, I thought Carl had the computer in the BEDROOM :P

One should be able to configure a video out from the computer to the TV if one wants. I am not sure of the best config. If your TV takes VGA input, then you might be able to put in a dual port video card in (or sometimes you can use two seperate video cards).

Hmmm, think of the possibilities..... Carl, you could even go "High Class", and put in a projector to connect to the computer and project against a wall somewhere :D :D :D

----- Clifford -----

I am not sure what it is, but Time Warner Houston offers the channel on the right side of the image below.

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/1614ichannels_pic1.gif

I plan on adding this next week it will be available when she arrives. It runs $10/month.

Hmmmmm I believe I am being baited. The computer is in the guest bedroom where there is a single bed. 17 inch monitor is too small to see well from there and not as much fun as snuggliing on the couch. Sitting on my lap though does have definite possibilities.