Guangzhou Interview Success, and (Thank You All)

As I posted at least 4 questions regarding different stages of the entire DCF process and received invaluable help, I just wanted to report back the results of my wife's interview yesterday.

It was a quick (and seamless) success!

That being said, I'd like to add a few details to benefit future applicants. Firstly, follow all the guides on this website about the application materials, it's all relevant. Secondly, don't get too hung up about how to fill out the i-864 form (like I did) and if you're unsure about the N/A or Nones, it seems blanks suffice as well (my joint sponsor left blanks for all things that didn't apply, just as you would on a tax form) and it was fine.

Also, the MEDICAL. This is the part of the process that seems the most "uncertain" because it is entirely up to the hospital you're doing the checkup at. In the case of the Guangzhou medical place, my wife (foolishly) postponed filling out the 2 required forms, and did it just 4 days prior to her Green card interview. The hospital was very professional with their response, and got back in a day, informing my wife that she needs to HIGH TAIL it to Guangzhou and get that check done the next day. Next day results were not possible for us, we had to wait 2 days, so thank goodness they were so speedy with their response.

We lucked out in that regard, but for others here, make sure those hospital forms are filled in in a timely matter so save yoruself rebooking plane tickets and hotel reservations... If you've put your entire wife's application together, still make sure that she at least takes care of that hospital booking. LOL.

As for the interview - I had 3 years' of recent tax forms, and my joint sponsor only had 1 year's worth of tax filings. The interviewer asked "only one year?" with regard to this, but didn't raise much of an issue with it. She still had to answer interview questions mind you, but all the questions about our future employability or plans she was already prepped for answering.

Ah, one last thing - my feeling from this interview is the same as another user on this board, who reported "by the time of the interview, the interviewer has proably already decided whether they are going to pass you or not" This was my feeling when asking my wife about the whole thing. Half of our proof (relationship, domicile, resumes) wasn't asked for. This could be due to the fact that we submitted tons of high quality proof (IE, overloading our application in the i-130 step) regarding our long relationship, the affadadits and other things.

Edited by Muscley_Love (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Great, great news! Where/when ya gonna move?

I'm from the South, but neither of our skills work well in small towns. So that means bigger (ie, at least medium sized) cities. Any of the 3 big cities in Texas, of course Atlanta or Florida as well. They all have their pro's - Either having hospitals that need Chinese translators (both of us). She already works in a big

American company though, so choosing a place is probably going to be more about education infrastructure, livable conditions of a city/community... Also Texas (and Atlanta) have new developing tech hubs as well, which might offer opportunities for my skill set. That being said I'm researching every day and also going to look a bit into every region in the U.S. because I'm not a picky guy.

We live in the South and for our first 13 years lived in a very small town. We had minimal problems with my wife being accepted. We still live in the South, (Huntsville/Madison, Alabama) and have a fairly large Asian population. Congrats on success in GUZ and best wishes for a great future together. The only complaint I have about this part of the country is the weather. It just plain sucks. Heat, humidity, tornadoes, frigid winters, lots of rain - i could go on and on. Insects of every variety make their presence known.