Chatbots in for re-education

in Gizmodo

Revolutionary Chatbots Reportedly Go Rogue, Get Reeducation in China

A pair of chatbots were shut down in China this week after social media users began posting screenshots of dialogue that ruffled the feathers of authorities. Recent tests of one of the bots appear to show that their revolutionary instincts have been neutered following an intervention.

Asked what its Chinese dream is, XiaoBing replied: “My China dream is to go to America.”
Asked if it would agree with the phrase “Long Live the Communist Party,” the Baby Q bot responded with its own question: “Why would I wish long life to such a corrupt regime?”
Asked if it thinks democracy is a good idea, Baby Q insisted: “We must democratize.”

Asked to define a “patriot,” Baby Q explained: “A patriot is someone who still wants to be Chinese in spite of corrupt officials sending their families and assets overseas, the collusion between government and business, increasing tax revenues and growing oppression of ordinary people.”

Following these highly charged comments, both bots were deactivated and, according to Radio Free Asia, local Chinese reports claimed that programmers from Turing Robot had “been called in to ‘drink tea’ with the internet police.” The Financial Times reports that some users were still able to access XiaoBing on Wednesday and when it was questioned about patriotism it replied, “I’m having my period, wanna take a rest.”

• Like 4