China and California sign their own climate accord in Beijing

in the Shanghaiist

China and California sign their own climate accord in Beijing, Trump not invited

http://shanghaiist.com/attachments/shang_shanghaiist/china_california_deal1.jpg

California, after all, has the largest economy of any US state and the sixth largest economy in the world.
"It's highly significant that the governor of California can meet with the president of China and talk about the foremost issue of our time," Brown said, according to the Los Angeles Times. "It's very clear he welcomes an increased role on the part of California."
As for Trump, Brown says that they did not speak about the US president's controversial decision last week to back out of the Paris accord. "Xi spoke in very positive terms," Brown said. "I don't think there's any desire to get into verbal battles with President Trump."

But yet Xi got pissed when the president of Taiwan called Trump to congratulate him on winning the election. :dunno: Now Xi is making deals with one of our governors.

Payback for us selling fighter jets to one of their provinces.

I don't know is Taiwan really one of China's provinces? During the take over of the country in 1949 by Chairmen Mao who chased the then president of China "Jiang" out of the Chinese mainland and onto the island of Taiwan but never tried to cross the straights to finish the job but instead decided to end it there. Where did that "legally" leave the real ownership of Taiwan?

Chairmen Mao never really took the island. It is "kinda" like North Korea/South Korea. Who knows or will ever know if Mao had tried to cross the channel it may have cost him his army trying to take the island and he may have been beaten back. If he didn't fear that why did he not cross and finish the job? I think that on land he had the goods obviously but crossing the channel in boats and mounting an attack on the then established, "higher ground", deposed president Jiang may have spelled disaster. You have to know that Mao wanted to kill Jiang very badly.

Just saying.

I don't know is Taiwan really one of China's provinces? During the take over of the country in 1949 by Chairmen Mao who chased the then president of China "Jiang" out of the Chinese mainland and onto the island of Taiwan but never tried to cross the straights to finish the job but instead decided to end it there. Where did that "legally" leave the real ownership of Taiwan?

Chairmen Mao never really took the island. It is "kinda" like North Korea/South Korea. Who knows or will ever know if Mao had tried to cross the channel it may have cost him his army trying to take the island and he may have been beaten back. If he didn't fear that why did he not cross and finish the job? I think that on land he had the goods obviously but crossing the channel in boats and mounting an attack on the then established, "higher ground", deposed president Jiang may have spelled disaster. You have to know that Mao wanted to kill Jiang very badly.

Just saying.

But yet Xi got pissed when the president of Taiwan called Trump to congratulate him on winning the election. :dunno: Now Xi is making deals with one of our governors.

Payback for us selling fighter jets to one of their "provinces".

Quotes added. Xi's view (and that of the Communist Party) is that Taiwan is a province of China.

But I'm sure Taiwan keeps a VERY close eye on how the Party treats Hong Kong and Tibet (and any missiles fired into the strait) in determining how much distance they want to keep between themselves and Beijing.

Hong Kong is sold down the river as of 2047, when the Basic Law expires. I doubt that Taiwan will follow the same path.

• Like 1