in the SCMP

Fraud revealed by television station report in central China

f78f11f2-45aa-11e7-935d-dac9335a3205_128

A TV station in central China has released a video showing a group of workers in a warehouse putting beer into used and recycled Budweiser cans.
The report shown on Hunan Economic Television shows women clearing old Budweiser cans from a cardboard box and then dumping them into a plastic container to refill them with beer.
The cans are then shown being resealed with a canning machine.
Police are later shown inside the warehouse, with crates of beer stacked in the background.

• Like 1

Budweiser is fairly low on my list - I usually prefer one of the Chinese local beers such as Liquan or Yanjing. One that was fairly good (very similar to Beck's dark and, in fact, the Double Deer brewery in China that produced it was bought by InBev), is Magic (Majiu) - hasn't been seen in more than a few years.

beer_396586.jpg

But my all-time favorite (anywhere) is one that I still order by the case off Taobao.

20f3ea4d1b2161d94b4365256bd9aab9.jpg

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

And who ever said recycling beer cans didn't pay off.

I would have thought the process to reseal the tops would be more involved than just running them through a recanner machine. Would think a bottle recapper with a new neck seal would have been much easier.

To me, Bud has a very unique taste and I don't particularly care for it. A true connoisseur of the brand should have picked up on it right away.

Even in the movies the "in the know " guy always asks to give him the good stuff, not the watered down stuff they give to the others.

Can't even trust a sealed can now. What's the world coming to!

Yikes.....well, might have been hard to tell the difference...LOL...unless you're a Bud guy.

Boy..innovation abounds! Who'd a thunk it was cheaper to make your own beer and re-seal a can than it was to buy a Bud?

That's some entrepreneurial thinking, right there! :D

Glad I make my own!

The beer even made it to stateside news...

http://www.fox7austin.com/news/us-world-news/259131837-story

Chinese factory busted for making fake Budweiser beer

FOX NEWS - A small Chinese factory in the Southeastern city of Dongguan was busted earlier this month for making counterfeit cans of Budweiser beer, The Daily Meal reports.

The underground operation, which has since been shut down by authorities, was caught on video. The footage shows factory workers dunking used Budweiser cans into a tub of what appears to be beer. The cans are then sent down a conveyor belt where they appear to be resealed. At the end of the video, crates of the beer are packaged and prepared to be shipped.

The factory was producing up to 600,000 cans of counterfeit beer a month, which were distributed to bars and nightclubs, according to Shanghaiist.