name change

I went to DMV today and brought my marriage certificate (my maiden is shown on it) as a second proof of ID. I was told by the guy in DMV I have to change my name if I want to use marriage certificate as a proof of ID. That means I have to use my husband's surename on my driver's license. Has anybody come across the same problem? What do you guys use as second proof of ID?

By the way, my marriage certificate shows my maiden name. Is it supposed to be this way or I should have added my husband's surename on it? What about those AOS documents?

I am quite confused with name change things. Hope I can get some advice from those predecessors?

Guest Long_strider

Hi Belle,

The easiest time to change your name is at the time of applying for the marriage certficate. It is then that you indicate what your married name will be. If you chose to keep your maiden name at the time of marriage, then it is a different process to legally change your name afterwards.

Here is the process we used...

first married and changed the name on the marriage certificate to use husband's family name.

second applied for AOS using husband's family name. Obtained AP showing new name.

Obtained SSN using husband's family name.

Then went to DMV and had marriage certficate, AP and SSN as proof for DMV.

Good luck to you.

long_strider