Question about health insurance for mother in law 5 month visit

humblestudent

Hi,

I hope this is the appropriate forum for this question.

My wife's mom is planning a 5 month visit from Shanghai. (We live in 15 minutes from San Francisco) Since we got married, her mom has been here every 1.5-2 years, and stays for 2 months. Each time she visits, I get stressed for the obvious reasons, but another source of stress is her mom's insurance, or lack thereof.

She's 59, and overall, has health is good, but her blood pressure is on the high side. What i always worry about is if she falls, hurts her back, or an unforeseen accident.

Over 70% of bankruptcies are due to medical reasons,

I looked into traveller's insurance and it costs about $725.

Therefore I wanted to seek advice from the wise members, what do you guys do when your inlaws visit for an extended period of time?

Thanks,

Don

Edited by humblestudent (see edit history)

Over 70% of bankruptcies are due to medical reasons,

It won't come to that because creditors are highly unlikely to go to China to sue her in the first place.

I had a Chinese co-worker tell me the same thing, in the unfortunate occurrence that something would happen, don't sign anything and you are not liable. However, while the hospital would have to treat them, would the care be the same as if they had insurance?

The first time my father-in-law came I bought an insurance but the second time I did not. I did not the second time because when I read the fine print it appeared the only thing it would likely cover is something unexpected like a car accident and just about any medical issue (like a heart attack) would be considered pre-existing and not covered so I figured it was a waste of money.

Has anyone ever bought a policy and had to use it?