Renewing Wife's Chinese Passport in US

Paul

Hi folks! I recognize some people here from an old, dead forum. Nice to see ya'll! :bye1:

I've spent number of hours this past week trying to figure out what my wife needs to file to renew her Chinese passport in the United States. This forum had an excellent post that discussed how this was done with links, but it's a 5-1/2 year old thread and I'm concerned the linked form is an old version. Some of the links were broken too.

We're in NY, so we'll go to the NY Consulate. The confusing thing is, the Passport and Visa link on the Consulate website doesn't have any forms for passports. I then went to the Embassy website and every consulate website in the US, and can't find any form on those sites either. All I can figure out is she needs to fill out an H-1 form (?), but I've read they recommend filling this form out online and printing it. But where is it???

The other conflicting thing we're trying to figure out is how to pick it up. The Consulate website says they don't mail the passport, but we've been told you can have it sent. Huh? Which is it? Perhaps an agent can pick it up for us?

Also, can my son (5 years old) and I go in to the Consulate with my wife? I read on the website someplace that they reserve the right to refuse entry to anyone who has no business entering the facility.

If anyone has any advice or a link to whatever form we need, we'd really appreciate it. We're looking to go to New York City before Christmas, perhaps 12/13 to 12/16. So I want to get things booked now (Amtrak, hotel, etc.).

Thanks everyone!

-Paul

yes, they will direct you to the online forms, rather than accept handwritten forms - when I went to the Houston consulate for a visa application, they sent me to a nearby copy shop which allowed me to fill out and print the form on their computer.

You have business at the consulate - I doubt that you would be denied entry.

You might have your wife check the Chinese-language web sites for the consulate. People who renew Chinese passports are usually CHINESE. In fact, this may be it here - http://newyork.china-consulate.org/chn/zjfw/bgxz/hzlxz/P020150808092230717035.pdf

Yes, the passport can be mailed to you - I think they require a pre-paid Fed-Ex or other mailer.

• Like 1

yes, they will direct you to the online forms, rather than accept handwritten forms - when I went to the Houston consulate for a visa application, they sent me to a nearby copy shop which allowed me to fill out and print the form on their computer.

You have business at the consulate - I doubt that you would be denied entry.

You might have your wife check the Chinese-language web sites for the consulate. People who renew Chinese passports are usually CHINESE. In fact, this may be it here - http://newyork.china-consulate.org/chn/zjfw/bgxz/hzlxz/P020150808092230717035.pdf

Yes, the passport can be mailed to you - I think they require a pre-paid Fed-Ex or other mailer.

Thank you for the reply, Randy. And for the form!

The form doesn't allow for typed entry. I thought they didn't want people to write the form and wanted them to complete it online. Should we just print it and have my wife fill it out by hand?

-Paul

Thanks... Yeah, my wife directed me to a Pinyin to Chinese generator that worked great. We filled out the form. Just hope she did it correctly.

Now need to book a hotel. Anyone have a recommendation for a good hotel in Chinatown in Flushing, Queens?

-Paul

Thanks... Yeah, my wife directed me to a Pinyin to Chinese generator that worked great. We filled out the form. Just hope she did it correctly.

Now need to book a hotel. Anyone have a recommendation for a good hotel in Chinatown in Flushing, Queens?

-Paul

Every time my wife and I stayed in Queens, we roomed with a nice couple, b&b but without breakfast, Chinese/Japanese couple in a nice suburban home. Ask for Cindy 347 316-8899 or 347 885-3888

-Paul

Every time my wife and I stayed in Queens, we roomed with a nice couple, b&b but without breakfast, Chinese/Japanese couple in a nice suburban home. Ask for Cindy 347 316-8899 or 347 885-3888

Dan the man.....great advice as always!

• Like 1