"Why Foreigners Marry Ugly Chinese Girls"

in the Nanfang. Kind of a light article, but with a few links you may wish to follow. The article by Qing Di referred to is in Chinese - http://www.qianhuaweb.com/2016/0908/3496682.shtml

“Why Foreigners Marry Ugly Chinese Girls” Causes Soul-Searching in China

"Beauty" and "sexiness" not the same thing

A previously published article wrestled with this conundrum. iFeng Beauty writer Xu Xiliang reasoned that Westerners knowingly marry ugly Chinese women because looks aren’t important to them. This back-handed compliment was a way to criticize Chinese society for marrying for superficial reasons. As Xu wrote, “If a man has a wife that is ugly, it is generally accepted that he is a loser.”

Recently, a new article by US-based author Qing Di tackles the same topic. Same as before, Qing discredits Western customs as a way to allow for an examination of Chinese society.

Once again, Qing states that Americans (who stand-in for “Westerners”) “do not place an emphasis upon a person’s external appearance”, instead finding traits such as “a healthy open-mindedness” and “a vigorous self-confidence” to be “beautiful”.

Qing then cuts to the heart of the matter by stating something Westerners may take for granted: that “beauty” and “sexiness” are not the same thing:

To be considered sexy by Americans, one doesn’t need to have a beautiful face, but most definitely requires ample breasts and a huge set of buttocks.

An interesting quote from one of the articles linked to (Chinese Movie Star with Canadian Husband Says Don’t Marry Foreigners)

The 42 year-old actress recently gave an interview where she opened up about her 2011 marriage (seen above) to Canadian Blaine Grunewald, the CEO of Lehman Bush. Usually reticent to talk about her private affairs, Yuan revealed how her marriage to a non-Chinese has both been painful and has served as a valuable lesson. Speaking from her personal experience, Yuan said:

You (can) better appreciate Chinese men after marrying a foreigner.

If that doesn’t sound like an endorsement of foreign husbands, it gets worse. Yuan described her cross-cultural marriage this way:

It was like a stuck gear made of flesh and blood, clacking away, grinding down upon my heart and my soul.

• Like 1

I kinda wondering too....

Here is my take on it. FWIW.

1. A lot of us are 2 to 3 time losers (my last wife died of cancer) and have been told in various places that Chinese women will stick tighter.

2. Beautiful women, no matter the country are HIGH maintenance and usually hard to keep out of someone's else s poot sack. As many hansom smooth talking men are always going to be hitting on them ALL the time. I was on a millionaires web sight once that catered to millionaire men looking for a wife. Not the kind that you see on the TV. One of the most beautiful girls with MANY demands was talking with one that she though she had hooked. She was all about how beautiful she was and how that would help him in his private and public affairs. He simply ask her " My money will increase several times over in my lifetime. How many years will your beauty last. Many start to diminish after the age of 25." I am looking for someone that will compliment me throughout my life. Not another post from her.

3. Women that are not as fortunate as others have to try harder and do better rather than to just depend on their beauty to get them what they want.

4. For me it is what is in their heart and how kind and compassionate etc than what they look like.

Now don't get me wrong I do think that I have a nice looking wife even at her age (hell of a lot better looking than I am) but I have to face the fact that she never was a car model.

1. A lot of us are 2 to 3 time losers (my last wife died of cancer) and have been told in various places that Chinese women will stick tighter. that depends on the individual woman. I wouldn't call you a loser if you were a widower.

2. Beautiful women, no matter the country are HIGH maintenance and usually hard to keep out of someone's else s poot sack. As many hansom smooth talking men are always going to be hitting on them ALL the time. I was on a millionaires web sight once that catered to millionaire men looking for a wife. Not the kind that you see on the TV. One of the most beautiful girls with MANY demands was talking with one that she though she had hooked. She was all about how beautiful she was and how that would help him in his private and public affairs. He simply ask her " My money will increase several times over in my lifetime. How many years will your beauty last. Many start to diminish after the age of 25." I am looking for someone that will compliment me throughout my life. Not another post from her. but i saw plenty of normal-looking Americans/westerners married to really homely chinese women (WTF?) not even considered average looking in western societies (no Wendy Deng)

3. Women that are not as fortunate as others have to try harder and do better rather than to just depend on their beauty to get them what they want.

4. For me it is what is in their heart and how kind and compassionate etc than what they look like. You are a true gentleman

Now don't get me wrong I do think that I have a nice looking wife even at her age (hell of a lot better looking than I am) but I have to face the fact that she never was a car model. Don't like stick figure freaking model.

• Like 1

1. A lot of us are 2 to 3 time losers (my last wife died of cancer) and have been told in various places that Chinese women will stick tighter. that depends on the individual woman. I wouldn't call you a loser if you were a widower.

2. Beautiful women, no matter the country are HIGH maintenance and usually hard to keep out of someone's else s poot sack. As many hansom smooth talking men are always going to be hitting on them ALL the time. I was on a millionaires web sight once that catered to millionaire men looking for a wife. Not the kind that you see on the TV. One of the most beautiful girls with MANY demands was talking with one that she though she had hooked. She was all about how beautiful she was and how that would help him in his private and public affairs. He simply ask her " My money will increase several times over in my lifetime. How many years will your beauty last. Many start to diminish after the age of 25." I am looking for someone that will compliment me throughout my life. Not another post from her. but i saw plenty of normal-looking Americans/westerners married to really homely chinese women (WTF?) not even considered average looking in western societies (no Wendy Deng)

4. For me it is what is in their heart and how kind and compassionate etc than what they look like. You are a true gentleman

Now don't get me wrong I do think that I have a nice looking wife even at her age (hell of a lot better looking than I am) but I have to face the fact that she never was a car model. Don't like stick figure freaking model.

You like a little meat with them taters huh? Nothing wrong with that. :happydance:

We all grow old and ugly... trying to hang on to youthful good looks is a losing effort. True beauty is knowing that the one you are with will be there with you to the end.

• Like 2

i think it is an observation rather than a philosophical point of view of beauty. As much as I want to believe your point, the population in general is driven by genetic programing and not all is as enlightened as you are.

Are those westerners know their chinese spouses are not considered attractive in chinese's eyes? I thought there are certain standard of beauty is universal?

They use to stick tighter in the old days :pash: , 15 years ago and on back, because if they left they got nothing not even a child or children. Now that they can divorce more easily and get some property and assets they can leave more easily. The divorce rate has risen quite dramatically since that time and before. When the divorce rate was only about 15 percent everyone wanted a

Chinese woman because of that rating however there was many more underlying reasons for the statics. We old guys from the old days just never knew the real background and the real truth behind that 15% divorce rate.

Most wealthy Chinese men tend to hide all the assets that they can in case divorce comes a knocking at the door. You know. I am sure, that the most wealthy men in China will have several concubines to support. I have read of as many as eight. My wife tells me that they had a helicopter pad at her collage were they were picked up after school buy some of these guys. I am sure that some may have been daughters but she says that no male students were ever picked up. :secret: Plus many Chinese women are more educated and can make their own way in the world. At least make a good living. They do still have a LOOOONG way to go though. China is still dominated by men. Have you ever seen CCP government assembly every year and see how many are men. Almost 100% and the few women in there I am not sure if they have a government title/position or not.

Just to add a little more banter to the thread.

Ronny how are you copying those YouTube videos? I can't anymore. Even the URL"s are gone. I saw your download button and it works. However the Glen Campbell and Roy Clark (ghost riders in the sky would not). I guess copyright infringements has struck YouTube too.

So glad you asked me that question, Larry. I have no clue how I get anything on a computer to work. I have murdered two computers in my time...horrible tragic endings for both of them, one punched repeatedly until it stopped breathing and the other, stomped to death, thrown on a driveway as hard as I could throw it, then stomped some more with me jumping from a tall chair I placed beside the computer with the sole purpose of allowing me to jump off of it with the full on weight of my body landing on the heels of my feet as I repeatedly jumped from the chair onto the computer with maximum impact and damage. All the while, I loudly cursed the damned computer at the top of my lungs until all of the birds in the neighborhood had flown away as one single flock, all of the dogs in said neighborhood were howling, and any humans brave enough to do so were peekin' out from behind their curtains to see what I was doing. I kid you not, I literally stomped that tower computer almost completely flat. :ranting:

I tell you this story only because, quite possibly my computer allows me to copy and paste videos OUT OF FEAR FOR IT'S LIFE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eyebrow:

If I had only made a video of me savagely destroyin' my tower computer I could probably be a YouTube star. I have seen a few of the videos of whimps who beat up their computers that are posted on YouTube these days. They are cub scouts compared to what I did. I murdered my computer the way Joe Peschi kicked that guy in the bar in Good Fellows...WITH PSYCHOPATHIC VENGEANCE !!! I still want to stomp that computer tower :horsehit: ...and it has been 15 years since I murdered that no good f'ing bastard. :CopBust:

My advice to you Larry....BEAT YOUR COMPUTER TO DEATH AND HAVE YORE WIFE VIDEO TAPE IT. If you are savage enough you can become an internet sensation on YouTube...probably get enough money to buy a new

computer, too. :redblob:

Now then boys and girls, anyone else have a computer question for the nice, sweet, calm, cool, and collected computer guru, Rawknee ? :eyebrow:

• Like 2

Quote:

The topic “Why do laowai (foreigner) marry ugly Chinese girls?”, while it sounds silly for many as we’ve often been told that “beauty is in the eye of the beholder”, has been talked about countless times within Asia’s cultural sphere.

The issue has been dissected by Chinese writers weighing on the points that foreigners usually see in the so-called “ugly Chinese girls”, as reported by The Nanfang.

According to one writer, Xu Xiliang of iFeng Beauty, Westerners don’t really mind marrying “ugly” Chinese girls as they often don’t base their preferences on looks alone.

“When finding their (ideal marriage) partner, many foreigners aren’t like we Chinese in being so fixated on things like appearances, money, or power. Instead, they are looking for something compatible with (the other person’s) inner quality. They want to find a real, authentic soul mate,” said Xu.

Her point is a subtle but open critique of most Chinese who marry for superficial reasons. In China, Xu said, “If a man has a wife that is ugly, it is generally accepted that he is a loser.”

Author Qing Di looks at the issue on similar terms, stating that “Americans (or Westerners in general) “do not place an emphasis upon a person’s external appearance”, preferring traits such as“a healthy open-mindedness” and “a vigorous self-confidence” as a means to also become“beautiful”.

End quote.

Not too sure about the assertion that westerns are not concerned with looks or outer beauty though-- the bigger the bank account the skinner the wife, we say.

Edited by jonathantwu (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Randy W changed the title to "Why Foreigners Marry Ugly Chinese Girls"