Using Weixin in China

A good article about a foreigner's experience with the WeChat app, which you see people using everywhere. In most cases, it's better than a phone call, since it won't require immediate attention

Life in the People’s Republic of WeChat

My full (and mostly successful) immersion in China’s everything app.

"It’s fundamentally a messaging app, but it also serves many of the functions of PayPal, Yelp, Facebook, Uber, Amazon, Expedia, Slack, Spotify, Tinder, and more. People use WeChat to pay rent, locate parking, invest, make a doctor’s appointment, find a one-night stand, donate to charity."

Not using WeChat China is considered socially weird, like refusing to wear shoes.
BLOOMBERG.COM

I copied this from SerpentZA's thread - http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/48071-serpentza-my-china-life/page-3?do=findComment&comment=629035

This is an interesting chat between SerpentZa and laowhy86, about WeChat (Weixin) and Android app development after Google's exit. Whenever you see someone holding their phone like the girl in this picture, they are probably using WeChat.

Published on Jul 26, 2016

WeChat is the most useful tool you can use in China.

Made by the huge Chinese corporation, Tencent, WeChat is the be all and end all for social media apps. Find out why it is useful, and why you should be using it!

Hop on and find out!

The wife and I use WeChat to communicate not just when she is in China (as in now :sosad: ) but when she is here (and never home :sosad: ).

Have not really exploited it since I am shy of using anything from Tencent since she has already had two of her QQ accounts taken over and ransomed. (I told her to tell the idiot who did the take overs, to go fish.) But I write that off mostly to use of bad passwords, which she has never understood.

WeChat does not seem to take over your whole machine as does QQ. I like the quick recording and picture sending ease of use.

• Like 1

Yep, WeChat is my go to when communicating with the wife and various Chinese friends. The built in translator is helpful.