Traveling with My Husband: Can We Go Through Immigration Together?

Hi Friends-

I've seen conflicting information about which line my husband needs to go through with his green card paperwork (IR-1). Is it possible for us to go through together? (We are traveling back together). We will be landing at a big airport and without any mobile devices to connect with each other, just waiting at baggage sounds dicey. Can anyone with experience give us some tips?

Thanks so much!

Zhen W.

Hi Friends-

I've seen conflicting information about which line my husband needs to go through with his green card paperwork (IR-1). Is it possible for us to go through together? (We are traveling back together). We will be landing at a big airport and without any mobile devices to connect with each other, just waiting at baggage sounds dicey. Can anyone with experience give us some tips?

Thanks so much!

Zhen W.

Different POE's have different policies, partly depending on whether they are busy or not. You may need to play it by ear - just try getting (together) in whichever line seems appropriate. You'll be redirected if need be.

Yes, you can go through immigrations together, my wife and I did in Chicago a few years ago, at that time the attendant in the line directed us to the (Returning citizens and residents line) which was shorter wait time and last month she did the same with her mother at JFK, again they directed my wife and her mum to use the shorter line.

Simply let the line attendant know you are traveling together and they will direct you to an appropriate line.

Yes, you can go through immigrations together, my wife and I did in Chicago a few years ago, at that time the attendant in the line directed us to the (Returning citizens and residents line) which was shorter wait time and last month she did the same with her mother at JFK, again they directed my wife and her mum to use the shorter line.

Simply let the line attendant know you are traveling together and they will direct you to an appropriate line.

My wife and I went to separate Immigration stations at LAX when we last returned from China. The officer asked if I was traveling alone. I had to retrieve Leiqin from the other station. I was firmly told to next time always stay together with who we are traveling with.

• Like 1

Rose, Kerry and I came through Chicago O'Hare together. There wasn't any issue. The officer there was a bit inexperienced, but very pleasant, and walked us through the entire process. I think it's expected that you will be going through together. When we approached Customs and Immigration, I told the officer that was directing folks which way to go, that my wife and son were emigrating to the US, and she directed us to the correct line. Don't be afraid to ask!

After we went through the first officer, packets in hand, we waited to collect our luggage, and then they directed us to a waiting room off to the side. Rose and Kerry gave them the packets, and handed them their passports. We were there about 20 minutes. Once, they called me up to the front desk to verify my address, as that is where the green cards would be sent to. Then, they handed Rose and Kerry back their passports, and off we went to catch our next flight. It was pretty painless.

We had scheduled 4 hours in between flights just in case things took a bit longer than expected, but we were though the process in about 2 hours. This was at noon, on a weekday, so the airport was fairly busy.

So no worries. Just take a breath, stay together, and all should be ok :)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Your bags will arrive at a specific numbered carousel in the baggage claim area. The carousel number will be shown next to your flight number on TV monitors. If you can both get to this carousel, it should be easy to meet up.

Note, the baggage claim tends to be beyond immigration and before customs who may want to inspect the baggage before you recheck it into the domestic carrier.