Tax Return Transcript vs Tax Account Transcript

My wife and I will be doing the Direct Consulate Filing in Guangzhou as soon as we are completely prepared with all the documents required. So far everything is going smooth acquiring all the documents except for my Tax Transcripts from the USA. The IRS website has two options for Transcripts: Tax Return Transcript or Tax Account Transcript.

From the IRS website:

• Tax Return Transcript - shows most line items from your original tax return (Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ) as filed, including any forms and schedules. It doesn’t show changes made after you filed your original return. A return transcript usually meets the needs of lending institutions offering mortgages and student loans.
  • Tax Account Transcript - shows basic data such as return type, marital status, adjusted gross income, taxable income and all payment types. It also shows changes made after you filed your original return.

I have had to amend my returns the past three years and so I think I need to get the Tax Account Transcript, but I'm not sure the the Officer will want the Tax Return Transcript that has more detailed information.

Has anyone used the Tax Account Transcripts?

Thanks!

Use the Tax Return Transcript, or simply file a copy of your actual return as originally filed. The original tax return and the Tax Return Transcript contain the SAME information, which is used by the consulate as documentation of your actual income.

A return transcript usually meets the needs of lending institutions offering mortgages and student loans.

They are UNCONCERNED with the status of your tax account. That is between you and the IRS, although tax delinquency can cause other problems.

A Tax Account Transcript is what I will use, for my own purposes, to determine the status of my own account, and that of my sister, since I was the Executor of her Estate.

If you wish to show an income which differs from the amount on your original return (e.g., after filing amended returns), it is up to you to provide documentation, which can include the Tax Account Transcript.

Then again, the more income you show, the more likely it may be that they will accept whatever you provide.

One of our members even filed tax returns which showed $0 income, as his 'on paper' income. He did not have any trouble sailing through the process.

Thanks for the good advice. I went back on-line and ordered the Tax Return Transcript. As for the income, I hope its no problem like the other member you mention. I quit my job the end of 2014 and my wife and I traveled around Southeast Asia and USA in 2015. So no job now and no income for last year.

BTW: the IRS Website doe now allow for email Tax Return Transcripts, but you need to have a USA phone that is in your name. This is part of the registration process to get the Transcripts. I don't have a USA phone, so I was forced to have them sent to my tax address in the USA. I'll then have my brother scan and email to me.

Thanks for the good advice. I went back on-line and ordered the Tax Return Transcript. As for the income, I hope its no problem like the other member you mention. I quit my job the end of 2014 and my wife and I traveled around Southeast Asia and USA in 2015. So no job now and no income for last year.

BTW: the IRS Website doe now allow for email Tax Return Transcripts, but you need to have a USA phone that is in your name. This is part of the registration process to get the Transcripts. I don't have a USA phone, so I was forced to have them sent to my tax address in the USA. I'll then have my brother scan and email to me.

But what you need to do is show a viable career and an active job search as a minimum. They MAY require a joint sponsor.

More good advice from you thx! I have my resume posted on various websites and been in contact with some recruiters. So, now we have decided to do the immigration I will start sending more resumes to USA employers. Any ideas of what would be a good demonstration of job search?

More good advice from you thx! I have my resume posted on various websites and been in contact with some recruiters. So, now we have decided to do the immigration I will start sending more resumes to USA employers. Any ideas of what would be a good demonstration of job search?

That - and hopefully, some responses and/or interview requests