Hi, my wife was born in 1987 and has a Birth Medical Certificate (chu sheng yi xue zheng ming) that was issued in 1997. As far as I understand, Birth Medical Certificates are okay starting from 1996 based on some googling (https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/fees/reciprocity-by-country/CH.html). Would this document then suffice for US immigration purposes, or does it also require her birthdate to be after 1996?

If not sufficient, what's the best way to obtain the Notarial Birth Certificate if we are not in China, and assuming that neither we or family members can travel back to her birthtown to obtain that document?

Hi, my wife was born in 1987 and has a Birth Medical Certificate (chu sheng yi xue zheng ming) that was issued in 1997. As far as I understand, Birth Medical Certificates are okay starting from 1996 based on some googling (https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/fees/reciprocity-by-country/CH.html). Would this document then suffice for US immigration purposes, or does it also require her birthdate to be after 1996?
If not sufficient, what's the best way to obtain the Notarial Birth Certificate if we are not in China, and assuming that neither we or family members can travel back to her birthtown to obtain that document?

The Dept. of State does not specify a format for Chinese documentation - they are simply stating what format they EXPECT it to be in. They are, of course NOT specifying valid years for these documents

The Birth Certificate as issued by the Chinese Government is fine, but must be authenticated for use internationally.

You have the same problem that everyone else does - you need to submit a "white book" format, which can be generated from the birth certificate. See

Chinese Essential Documents - White Books - the birth certificate should be the only evidence needed.

You don't say what you are using it for, but this Birth Certificate, as an official document, may be fine. So, if you experience problems with getting the white book format in China, you might submit this document as is.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

For a mention of acquiring white books while out of the country, see

Can Chinese Consulate in the US do a Gong Zheng Shu?

Answer: The Chinese diplomatic and consular missions abroad do not accept authentication applications for foreign-related notarial deeds or other documents issued in China because the missions do not keep samples of signature or seal of Chinese notaries public or issuers of business documentation and cannot verify the authenticity of the documents. The applicant should send the document back to China, apply for authentication by the Department of Consular Affairs of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of China, or authorized local foreign affairs offices of China, and apply for authentication by a diplomatic or consular mission in China of the country where the documents will be used. If the applicant find it inconvenient to go back to China for it, he or she may entrust someone else (e.g. a friend, relative or a lawyer in China) with the formalities.

The Dept. of State does not specify a format for Chinese documentation - they are simply stating what format they EXPECT it to be in. They are, of course NOT specifying valid years for these documents

The Birth Certificate as issued by the Chinese Government is fine, but must be authenticated for use internationally.

You have the same problem that everyone else does - you need to submit a "white book" format, which can be generated from the birth certificate. See

Chinese Essential Documents - White Books - the birth certificate should be the only evidence needed.

You don't say what you are using it for, but this Birth Certificate, as an official document, may be fine. So, if you experience problems with getting the white book format in China, you might submit this document as is.

Thanks for the response. This is for the Green Card application. So I assume the white book would be needed?

My question, What do you mean by green-card application?

Adjusting status in the USA (I-485)? Or filing an I-130 for a visa petition for a visa interview in China?

If adjustment of status (I-485), USCIS probably will be fine with a photocopy of the birth cert as you have it.

If planning on a visa interview at the US Consulate in China then probably would be better with a Notary White book + Translation.

Thanks for the response. This is for the Green Card application. So I assume the white book would be needed?

I would simply go by the expediency factor of just how easy/hard will it BE to GET a white book in the first place.

My question, What do you mean by green-card application?

Adjusting status in the USA (I-485)? Or filing an I-130 for a visa petition for a visa interview in China?

If adjustment of status (I-485), USCIS probably will be fine with a photocopy of the birth cert as you have it.

If planning on a visa interview at the US Consulate in China then probably would be better with a Notary White book + Translation.

My bad, I should've been clearer. We are debating between AOS (I-485) and Consular Processing, which would occur at the US Consulate in Vancouver actually (wife's family has all immigrated there).