Last minute questions

I posted here last month that I was going to file DCF in April. I got cold feet and pushed it back until this month. I'm leaving for Guangzhou tomorrow and have some last minute questions. I feel pretty prepared but the pressure is real and given the stakes, I don't want to make any mistakes.

1. Should I include a "Our Story" letter? I have written a two page document explaining how we met and the progression of our relationship. I was planning on including it in my packet, but after reading through all the old posts on here some people suggest to not include this type of document. Will this kind of letter help or hurt my application?

2. Most of the full addresses don't fit on the forms. I will be putting in addendum for our forms. I'm just not sure what exactly to put on the addendum. For example on G-325a it asked for applicants employment last five years. There is a space for full name and address of employer, occupation, from and to. Should I put all the information on the addendum, or just the full name and address of employer, because that's what doesn't fit.

3. Can some small mistakes filling out the forms because for rejection? I'm pretty worried that I might give them a reason to reject us.

Thanks to all on this site who helped make this process easier.

1. Yes, it is a good idea to attach an evolution of relationship letter, usually part of the cover letter.

2. Addendum sheet should note which and whose form it is an addendum to, as well as what line, and on the form the line should indicate "see addendum" can put full info on the addendum.

Addendum to G-325A John or Jane Doe

Section: Applicant's employment last five years:

(Then additional info)

3. Triple check things like dates, dates of birth need to be in the American norm mm/dd/yy, these things sometimes cause issues later, but a typo or spelling in most cases are not major issues.

I made up an Evolution of Relationship letter, and with it, I included many pictures of us together and with the family. In my wife's particular case, the VO was very interested in all the pictures, and asked my wife a number of questions about where they were taken. My closing statements in the letter were something to the effect that I thanked them for taking the time to read it, and that I would be nervously awaiting the outcome at the Starbucks down the street. The VO smiled at this, and asked my wife if I was waiting for her. When she answered yes, he smiled again, and told her that she had passed, and that she can now tell her husband.

Based solely on my wife's experience, the EOR letter was a very good thing to have. They may not look at it at all, but you never know what may help.....

Thanks for the answers.

I want to bind everything together with a two hole punch and ACCO clips that I saw was recommended, but none of the print shops I went to could do it. Is there a print shop in GuangZhou that could do this for me? Or is it ok to fasten it with big paper clips and put it in a folder?

Thanks for the answers.

I want to bind everything together with a two hole punch and ACCO clips that I saw was recommended, but none of the print shops I went to could do it. Is there a print shop in GuangZhou that could do this for me? Or is it ok to fasten it with big paper clips and put it in a folder?

My own advice (and this is only me here) - they can punch their own damn holes!

The paper clips would be thrown away - the holes would need to be re-punched if they weren't in the right position. Why would you do either?

A rubber band and/or folder would do just fine for getting the pile of documents where they need to go.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

I just returned from the consulate. Here are my thoughts:

On the reservation for my appointment, it said no electronics or bags are allowed inside, and they wouldn't check any thing for you. So I stored my bag with all my expensive electronics with a guy in a drink stand. As I was waiting in the security line, I noticed the three guys in front of me had huge backpacks and their cell phones? WTF? I was holding the paper that said no bags allowed. I couldn't help myself from asking the security guard about it. She said those rules are for the other side, but Americans going through the left can check their things before going in. I had read conflicting reports on this point, but now it is very clear that you CAN bring your things inside.

Once inside, it was fast and easy. The third floor is huge, and there was literally nobody there but me and a security guard and the guy behind the counter. I gave him my documents, and he was very friendly and helpful. He tried to give me back most of he pictures I submitted, but after a small exchange, I gathered he was just trying to save the pictures for us. I specifically had them cheaply printed for the I-130 and don't care about them, so he kept them.

The whole thing was quick and easy, it was nice to be prepared. I'll post when I get to the next step.

A final note. The consulate is at 43 · I had some confusion about this, got a little lost, but was happy I went early. There are some earlier posts on here stating the address is at another location

Edited by Mr.Lee88 (see edit history)

I just returned from the consulate. Here are my thoughts:

On the reservation for my appointment, it said no electronics or bags are allowed inside, and they wouldn't check any thing for you. So I stored my bag with all my expensive electronics with a guy in a drink stand. As I was waiting in the security line, I noticed the three guys in front of me had huge backpacks and their cell phones? WTF? I was holding the paper that said no bags allowed. I couldn't help myself from asking the security guard about it. She said those rules are for the other side, but Americans going through the left can check their things before going in. I had read conflicting reports on this point, but now it is very clear that you CAN bring your things inside.

Once inside, it was fast and easy. The third floor is huge, and there was literally nobody there but me and a security guard and the guy behind the counter. I gave him my documents, and he was very friendly and helpful. He tried to give me back most of he pictures I submitted, but after a small exchange, I gathered he was just trying to save the pictures for us. I specifically had them cheaply printed for the I-130 and don't care about them, so he kept them.

The whole thing was quick and easy, it was nice to be prepared. I'll post when I get to the next step.

A final note. The consulate is at 43 · I had some confusion about this, got a little lost, but was happy I went early. There are some earlier posts on here stating the address is at another location

The address is 43 Hua Jiu Road, Zhujiang New Town, or 华就路43号

Looks like another problem entering Chinese characters.

On this map, the main entrance to the consulate compound (NOT where you want to go) is at the star (there is actually a parking lot there - NOT a public lot).

The "guy with the drink stand" who will store your valuables is on Huali Rd., directly across from the B1 subway stairs.

The cyan colored building is what most of us think of as "the consulate" - actually the "Great Hall". The long, blue building is the security shack that you pass through.

As you come up from the subway at entrance B1, you'll see the security shack straight ahead. and the Great Hall to its right.

The entrance to the security shack is through a gate located part way down Huaxia Blvd. from the B2 stairway - this is where you want to go.

The consulate compound occupies the entire city block, except for the Northwest corner, where the Tianhe Martyr East Elementary School is located.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/48010-getting-around-and-finding-hotels-near-the-new-consulate/?p=618627

gallery_1846_718_108913.jpg