Police Report from Home Town or Current Location or both?

Hi all,

I am partitioning my wife to immigrate to the US and currently I submitted the DS260 confirmation a few days ago. I want to get a head on some of the things we'll need and one of this is the police report. Now my wife is originally from ChongQing and we moved to Guangzhou for about 5 years now.

Where should I get the police report from? From her home town CQ? Or here in GZ? Or both? Or doesn't matter?

How long do the police reports lasts? I mean I don't want to get one, then it expires before I get a notice from the consulate that I can move ahead.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

The police report is a national report, it covers all of China, the office that issues it is located where a person's hukou is based, usually their home town.

Police reports are valid for one year, so it probably would be prudent to get it now.

Typically the PSC is co-located with a person's Notary office, the Notary office should translate this report into English and bind it to the report in a "white book"

• Like 1

Thank you dnoblett. Very helpful. I'm not sure what PSC means though but I deduced that it's a place that does notary and translation at the same time, then binds them in a white book.

I found many places in Guangzhou to do notaries but I live in FoShan at the border if Guangzhou and was wondering if I can find one in FoShan to do this?

Or is there a particular place in Guangzhou that I should go to avoid any problems?

Thank you dnoblett. Very helpful. I'm not sure what PSC means though but I deduced that it's a place that does notary and translation at the same time, then binds them in a white book. I found many places in Guangzhou to do notaries but I live in FoShan at the border if Guangzhou and was wondering if I can find one in FoShan to do this? Or is there a particular place in Guangzhou that I should go to avoid any problems?

Meant to say PSB as in Public Safety Bureau

A notary is not the same as the Notary office, the notary office in China is a keeper of vital records, such as Birth, Death, Marriage, Police, Divorce, etc, in your case this is your spouse's hometown where spouse's HuKou is based.

Ok, I think I understand. The police report I believe I can get easily. The Translation and Notary and bind it in a white book may cause a little problem as I have not done this before. All the other certificates that were notarized and bind in a white book were done at the same place. i.e. the Marriage proof were done at my wife's home town marriage registry.

In any case, I believe I can get it done locally in FoShan once I have the police report in hand.

Thanks again for all your replies.

Quick question. When I use the CITIC Bank to submit the DS260 info, do I get a confirmation anywhere that the consulate received my envelope? How long does this usually take?

In DCF immigrant visa cases the documents are bought and turned in prior to interview, nothing is sent in via CITIC bank.

Drop-off service at CITIC bank has to do with non-immigrants renewing or applying for a second visit visa like the B-2 visa, that service saves repeat visa applicants from having to visit the consulate.

Quick question. When I use the CITIC Bank to submit the DS260 info, do I get a confirmation anywhere that the consulate received my envelope? How long does this usually take?

In DCF immigrant visa cases the documents are bought and turned in prior to interview, nothing is sent in via CITIC bank.

Drop-off service at CITIC bank has to do with non-immigrants renewing or applying for a second visit visa like the B-2 visa, that service saves repeat visa applicants from having to visit the consulate.

Are you sure? I was specifically instructed to: COMPLETE FORM DS-260 Online and print out the confirmation page, COPY OF THE PERSONAL INFORMATION PAGE OF YOUR PASSPORT, and PHOTOGRAPHS: Two 2 inches square.

Then at the bottom: "Please print the IV Pre-interview Document Submission Cover Letter at http://www.ustraveldocs.com/cn/20140707%20IV%20Pre-interview%20Document%20Submission%20Cover%20Letter%20for%20Drop%20Off.pdf. Complete and submit the Document Submission Letter along with the above requested items at the nearest CITIC Bank. Failure to take the requested action within one year will result in your application being terminated."

Am I doing this wrong?

Edited by Randy W
fixed pdf link (see edit history)

Are you sure? I was specifically instructed to: COMPLETE FORM DS-260 Online and print out the confirmation page, COPY OF THE PERSONAL INFORMATION PAGE OF YOUR PASSPORT, and PHOTOGRAPHS: Two 2 inches square.

Then at the bottom: "Please print the IV Pre-interview Document Submission Cover Letter at http://www.ustraveldocs.com/cn/20140707%20IV%20Pre-interview%20Document%20Submission%20Cover%20Letter%20for%20Drop%20Off.pdf. Complete and submit the Document Submission Letter along with the above requested items at the nearest CITIC Bank. Failure to take the requested action within one year will result in your application being terminated."

Am I doing this wrong?

The most important point is . . .

- FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS YOU'RE GIVEN -

Too often, a response is made from a different perspective than what you're following.

If the consulate TELLS you "Complete and submit the Document Submission Letter along with the above requested items", you need to follow their directions.

The most important point is . . .

- FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS YOU'RE GIVEN -

Too often, a response is made from a different perspective than what you're following.

If the consulate TELLS you "Complete and submit the Document Submission Letter along with the above requested items", you need to follow their directions.

Yup. That's exactly what I did. Did it last week. Brought the 4 items (Cover letter, photos, DS260 conf., and passport copy) to the bank. The lady acutally wanted to give them my wife's passport saying that's usually what they do. I'm like no way! The email said if any other items that are submitted, it will be destroyed!

• Like 1

Documents I meant that are turned in just prior to interview are:

• Police Report + Translation
  • Birth record + Translation
  • Marriage cert + Translation
  • I-864 + Financial evidence
  • Medical report