Three Expats in rural Guangxi

I guess I didn't make the short list - no one from SCMP contacted me - but these guys are WAY more entrepreneurial than I am. One runs "a service catering to photography enthusiasts looking for local scenery at its finest", the other two have guest houses.

It's somewhat lengthy reading, but interesting stories - about expats in Bama, Jiuxian near Yangshuo, and Xingping, also near Yangshuo

Trading city life for remote villages in the South China Karst region might seem an unlikely choice for expats but, as Thomas Bird discovers, some wouldn't have it any other way

We had even stumbled across one of the guest houses at the Secret Garden in Jiuxian, a couple of years ago - but no one was there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0VK5ThCzOo - unavailable

My CFL topic - Near Yangshuo

gallery_1846_695_1013595.jpg

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Bama - the Farmhouse Retreat

Jiuxian - the Secret Garden Hotel

ANOTHER DAY AT THE OFFICE - see on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/www.gregorymichielsphotography/
photography tours guilin

an interesting factoid from the article -

SCMP said:

After lunch, Michiels has to meet a client who wants to photograph the renowned Li River cormorant fishermen.

"There are just three people who still know how to fish with birds," Michiels explains. "Two of them are over 80."

• 6 months later...

. . . and an article about a fourth, NOT in Guangxi, from CNN

Do these village homes have the best view in China?

161110123853-beijing-home-before-renovat

161110113846-beijing-luxury-apartment-da

Self-taught architectural designer Jim Spear and his wife Tang Liang, after visiting on vacation, saw what the Beigou villagers didn't: the value of their prime real estate.
With help from the local government, the duo set out to increase tourism and strengthen the local economy with a series of architectural projects.

. . .

While working and living in Beijing in the 1990s, Spear and Liang decided to renovate a village home in Mutianyu, about 50 miles (80km) north of the capital, as a weekend getaway.
The area is home to clean air, easy access to hiking trails and, of course, has a front-row seat to the Great Wall.
In 2005, the couple moved there full-time.