Visitor visa for Father-In-Law

I am US citizen and my wife just got her Green Card. We currently living in Shanghai but moving permanently to the US in July. We would like my father-in-law to come visit us for 5-6 months to help my wife get adjusted to life in the US. My mother-in-law does not want to fly, so it would be only my father-in-law coming at this time. His is currently visiting us in Shanghai so all of his documents are at his home 12 hours away. Would it be a mistake to proceed with a visitor visa interview with only a invitation letter and his ID card? Other documents that he could obtain if we delay the interview are his marriage license, Huko book and a document showing his retirement income. Is there anything else that would he helpful that we are overlooking?

I would greatly appreciate any advice and guidance I could get to help prepare him for the interview. He speaks Chinese only. We are hoping for a 10 year visa to keep the doors open to come see us again in the future when we are not living in China and able to help, especially since his home is far from a US Consulate.