China's Vietnam Vets

in the WSJ

As China’s Economy Slows, Unrest Among Veterans Rises

The four veterans, all from the southern province of Hunan, are an example of the problem facing President Xi Jinping as he prepares to lay off 300,000 out of 2.3 million troops in the biggest restructuring of the People’s Liberation Army, or PLA, since the 1950s.

China already has at least six million PLA veterans on state welfare, thousands of whom have staged well-organized protests in recent years over what they see as insufficient government support. Traditionally the government has offered subsidies to former soldiers and reserved slots for them at state-run companies, though many veterans say officials don’t follow through or that the perks aren’t enough to make ends meet.

Now, with an economic slowdown threatening to cause millions of state sector layoffs, prominent military figures have warned that veterans’ protests could escalate if the government can’t provide jobs or sufficient welfare support for the 300,000 being laid off.

. . . and this

Five Things About the People’s Liberation Army

Chinese President Xi Jinping has taken on the ambitious task of transforming the People’s Liberation Army into a smaller, more modern force that is able to project power far from its shores. Here are five things to know about the PLA.

1 It’s the Party’s Army

2 It Hasn’t Fought a War Since 1979

3 It Crushed the 1989 Tiananmen Square Protests

4 It Once Ran a Huge Business Empire

5 It’s Going Global

When Wenyan fianlly was found fit to come to America she once asked me why I went to the VA for "this PTSD" stuff. She said, "China have many soldier, I always never hear about Chinese soldier have head trouble or PTSD." I laughed and asked her, "When is the last time China invaded another country?" She had no answer. :rotfl:

Good luck to those 4 Vietnam veterans...and the rest of China's veterans. I reckon most of their Korea veterans are dead, their lil' Vietnam incursion was a total embarrassment to them, and they don't have 5 or 10 other wars (yes, I am being VERY sarcastic) that help highlight the veterans plight like America's veterans have had.

Wenyan's parents told me that being a soldier is very honorable, then again, they don't make Chinese policy to help veterans. Isn't it funny...when money gets tight, even China looks to cut funding to it's veterans. They should stop reading our newspapers. :rotfl:

• Like 1