A Culture Topic to Relax Everyone

13012642_690016964474528_663489917542274

Hello Everyone, I'm a beginner of collecting Chinese stuff to share different cultures. Now I like you to say how much you know about my collections. What can you see in the pictures? What are the words in the plate and what are the things in the plate? Relax everyone!

13083242_690017051141186_507869320986975

I recognized bones in the first pic - but I don't know what this is for. I recognize the "Chinese Checkers" - which I have played in China - but most things there I would not know their purpose. Well, a fan is a fan - tea pot and cups seem to be just that. Maybe you have more to add to their story.

I had a few things explained to me by my wife - so it wouldn't be playing fair to offer explanations for them. Maybe some day when I get caught up on other priorities I can post some pics of a few curious things I have brought from China.

Hello, I am mostly guessing. Is the jump rope game a version of the two sticks game where a jumper jumps between two ropes that are stretched out between two players who moves the ropes back and forth between the jumper as he jumps in and out? Below the jumper rope game looks like a Chinese chess set. I thought the two sacks might be used for a hacky sack game. Wrong!! Other items in the pictures are used for the hacky sack game. I too remember the Chinese Checker set from when I was child. As for us? Whats did we have as kids( small objects that would fit on a large plate? ? Jacks, knives and marbles and balls. Anything else? Danb

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, guys, that I've not come here for quite a few days.

(1) The small bones are sheep knee bones that have been over 50 years in my family. It was a game for young girls 60 years ago. I love the bones a lot and I still play them like playing jacks. We call them "Galaha", a game for Manchu people in the northeast China. Here is the link to know our childhood game. "Playing Jack" was among them. http://www.womenofchina.com.cn/html/report/2580-1.htm

Manchu people back to Qing Dynasty made a living by hunting. The knee bones showed off how many games they sported. The bones functioned as a deer head in America. Some people hang up the deer heads on the wall. I feel the heads are scary but the local people take the deer head a sense of achievement.

(2) The beanbags or hacky sacks go with the small bones that we colored them red because they were too valuable and precious for us.

(3) The feather game is "Jianzi" that I do every day now.

(4) In my picture you can also see the Chinese couplet that is only for Chinese new year.

I've never seen Chinese finger traps that Randy mentioned. thanks for sharing.

These days I've been bothered by my taxman who is a jerk. He is from Malaysia but speaks Chinese. He gave a wrong address to IRS for me. I didn't know until after I received a letter from IRS requiring me to verify my ID. I went to IRS office two days ago. It was solved but the process was a headache and a panic.

have a good night, every one!

Catherine