Hello everybody. I am new to this forum and I'm not sure if this question has been asked already. I will be getting married this July in Spain. My fiancee is Spanish and I am American, but we are both living and working in China (in Guiyang). I plan on submitting the I-130 petition at the end of August in Guangzhou. The only things I would need translated in this whole process are our police records and copies of our leases. Does this have to be done in Guangzhou the same way as the process of birth certificates and hukou that I see other people talk about? Thank you very much!

The China police cert should be translated either at the PSB or at a Notary office and translation bound to the certificate in a white book.

As for Spanish documents you can get anyone conversant in both English and Spanish do the translation and certify they are conversant in both languages.

Please submit certified translations for all foreign language documents. The translator must certify that s/he is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate.

The certification format should include the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification.

A suggested format is:

Certification by Translator

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and [enter appropriate language] languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled [enter title of document].
Signature
Typed Name
Address
Date

USCIS no longer routinely requires submission of original documents or "certified copies." Instead, ordinary legible photocopies of such documents (including naturalization certificates and alien registration cards) will be acceptable for initial filing and approval of petitions and applications.

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/forms-and-fees/general-tips-assembling-applications-mailing

Note: will need police certificates from every country lived in more than 6 months since age 16 unless they are not available.

Should my leases also be translated at a Notary office or PSB, or would it be okay to ask a Chinese speaker who is able to translate the leases? Thank you for the quick reply!!

I believe the notary office will only translate chinese notary documents.

USCIS has no issues with translations done and certified by a person conversant in both languages, when filing the petition you will be dealing with USCIS field office located in Guangzhou or Beijing.

• 2 months later...

Sorry another question! When typing the certification letter, should I include a heading and inside address? If so, should it be the address of the US Consulate in Guangzhou? It seems a little strange to just submit a document without these. Thank you again!

http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/48295-chinese-essential-documents-white-books/?p=626021

A translation is usually done generically, rather than addressed to a specific recipient, but you may attach headers as desired.

Sample letter of attestation (for a non-professional translation of a non-required document (such as a relationship letter):

Telephone:

E-mail:

Qualifications of the translator:

I, hereby, attest that to the best of my knowledge and ability, the translation of the consent and/or other relevant document(s) from [specify language] to English for the attached document is complete and accurate.

From USCIS:

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/forms-and-fees/general-tips-assembling-applications-mailing

Certification by Translator

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and [enter appropriate language] languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled [enter title of document].

Signature

Typed Name

Address

Date