Last Odds and Ends Questions

Well, I'm hoping this is the last odds and ends questions. I'm finished with putting together almost all of my forms and evidence. I just have some small questions.

Can the I-130 fee, when done by DCF, be payed in RMB in cash in person? If not, can it be payed by a debit card with USD?

I speak fluent Chinese, my wife doesn't speak a lot of English. Do I need to prove I speak Chinese and that we have a common language? How would I do That? I remember seeing elsewhere someone had a video of them speaking Chinese requested. I'd like to prepare in advance.

If my wife doesn't speak English too well, will that be a problem during her interview?

How should I arrange my packet of photos and relationship evidence? All the photos in a zip lock back? In a separate folder/envelope? Should me sheets of paper with forms and letters be stapled, paper clipped, in a binder, or loosely put into a large envelope?

This is a more complicated question. In most of the forms, addresses simply don't fit, domestic and Chinese ones. Should I not type them then hand write the address portions into the form? Or should I include a separate paper and write them on that? This is a question about all forms - I-130, g-325a, and the I-864.

We will be living in my father's home when we go back to the US. He is going to be a joint sponsor. Since we are going to be in a single household, should he fill out an I-864a or a separate I-864?

Back to addresses. I don't know which ones to write. My wife has lived in her grandma's home for years, but that house doesn't have a mailing address. It is also not the address on her hukou. It is not the one under her father's name either. Whenever she applies for things, she usually uses her uncles address as the mailing address. She has also lived there before. Should I just use that address on the forms? This part has been giving me, and her family, a headache. They All feel like its not something that our government will investigate into, but I want to fill things out correctly.

I've been doing research and asking others about the whole communist party thing. My wife, before she was 16, was a Ա in school, something everyone was required to enroll in. She never paid any dues or went to any sort of meetings. She is not a Ա. Its probably more like the cub scouts than anything else. Do I need to make note of that and how/when? I haven't seen anything in the I-130 or first step forms. Is it at the interview stage?

I think that's it for my questions. If anyone else has last minute advice please let me know! My hope is that we can get the visa in 2 to 3 months....it looks like recently DCF has been that fast if there are no hookups. Is that a realistic goal?

1) Fee Payment Information

The fees for all applications and petitions submitted to this office must be paid to the U.S. Consulate cashier with Visa or MasterCard or in cash with U.S. dollars or Chinese RMB. Checks and money orders are not accepted. https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/international-offices/china-uscis-guangzhou-field-office

2) It has been years since I last heard of any request to show common language, perhaps once in Hong Kong, but rarely in Guangzhou, and in the case of filing in China, they will assume you communicate well.

3) They can interview in English, Mandarin or Cantonese.

4) Packaging guide: https://www.uscis.gov/forms/forms-and-fees/general-tips-assembling-applications-mailing

5) Can make notation on line see attached, and on separate paper provide address, and indicate form and line it pertains to.

NOTE: I-864 is NOT filed with the I-130, it will be requested at the time of visa interview.

6) He will be joint sponsor so will provide an I-864 not an I-864A You may be a member of his household however he is not a member of yours. I-864A is for a member of household, not the head of household.

7) You need to work out the address thing, physical and mailing.

8) CCP membership comes up at the interview stage, study topics tagged CCP

Follow the tags above, many questions will be answered

Thank you very much for the fast reply! The links were very helpful too.

With the addresses, I just remembered another small thing. When it asks for the state/country for birth on the I-130, can China be abbreviated as CH? In other places can I do that as well?

Can US addresses use the state abbreviations and should I type US or USA?

Also on Chinese addresses do I need the postal codes? Sorry if these are dumb questions but the addresses are the only aspects I'm worried about inputting information incorrectly. Thanks again!

With the addresses, I just remembered another small thing. When it asks for the state/country for birth on the I-130, can China be abbreviated as CH? In other places can I do that as well?

Also on Chinese addresses do I need the postal codes? Sorry if these are dumb questions but the addresses are the only aspects I'm worried about inputting information incorrectly. Thanks again!

Spell it out China, it will fit the form. I would avoid abbreviations, need to be as clear and plain as possible. For US address the only abbreviations can be States and perhaps things like Dr, Rd, St, etc. but other than that it is best to avoid abbreviations.

"CH" is Switzerland ("Confederation of Helvetia"). "CN" is China, I believe.

Correct, and is why should not abbreviate anything.

Spell it out China, it will fit the form. I would avoid abbreviations, need to be as clear and plain as possible. For US address the only abbreviations can be States and perhaps things like Dr, Rd, St, etc. but other than that it is best to avoid abbreviations.

Glad I didn't abbreviate China that way then, would have caused a lot of problems. Will I run into issues if I add my handwriting directly onto the form? In that case it would be mostly typed, with some handwriting. There are plenty of things I could fit in neatly printed handwriting, but I don't know if it will create issues. And if I do include a "See Attached" page, do they prefer handwriting or typed for that? Thank you very much! I just scheduled my DCF appointment!

From what I see on the current I-130 form there is no electronic barcode on it that is generated from what is typed into it, so neatly hand writing should be fine.

And the see attached page can be handwritten, but if have a computer with word processor and printer handy, I would type it.

Okay so here is how I decided to do this on the see attached forms, let me know if I should do it differently.

For form G-325A I wrote, on the lines on which I couldn't fit information I wrote:

SEE ATTACHED (LINE xx)

Then on the attached page I wrote this:

ADDITIONAL INFO: FORM G-325A FOR BENEFICIARY (or PETITIONER) (Name Here)

Line xx: xxxxx

Line xx: xxxxx

For the I-130 Form, on the actual form I wrote "SEE ATTACHED", then on the attached page I wrote:

ADDITIONAL INFO: FORM I-130

B2: xxxxxxx

C2: xxxxxxx

19: xxxxxxx

21: xxxxxxx

Should I be doing this differently, or will this work?

Four more questions

1) Whenever it asks for File Number or Alien Registration Number, should I leave it blank or type "NONE"?

2) It asks for applicants address of more than 1 year outside the US. If I don't have one, should I write my residence of the longest time (6 months), or leave it blank?

3) Since my wife graduated college in 2014, she hasn't had a job and has lived with her parents. After April, I will also not have a job. We will live with her family until her visa is processed. For the sections on professions, should I just put "none" for her from 2014 until present, and for me "none" from April until present? Or should I write "House Husband" and "House Wife"? I'm just concerned neither of us having work might be an issue...will it?

4) On Form I-130, it asks for her phone number. It wants it in 10 digit format, but it will let me type the Chinese number in, with the 86 included at the front. Should I just type it in that way or not leave a number?

Finally. After editing my post multiple times, it's ready. I think.

Edited by woodbreyjt (see edit history)

Your attachment will be fine.

1) Correct should say "none" for A# unless spouse was an immigrant before they won't yet have an A#

2) In this case can enter N/A and note: "Less than a year"

3) Unemployed

4) I would include the 86 so as to indicate is a China number.

Lastly dont forget to attach a G-1145 so they can email you status. https://www.uscis.gov/g-1145

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back with some more "last questions". I've searched through the forums and had trouble finding answers, though I'm sure there are some out there. Anyways, here they are:

1) The letter from my employer. When this is submitted, is a photocopy of this fine? I'm going to request he write it on a paper with the company letterhead, sign the bottom, then send it to me as a PDF. But what kind of info should he include on it?

2) Speaking of letter from my employer...I was slightly confused when going through the stickied guide to DCF. What documents do I need to provide now? The original poster sent evidence of his domicile in the US during his initial application of the I-130, but my understanding was that was all part of the documentation with my I-864 submitted during the interview. Should all of my tax returns, bank account statements, proof of address etc be submitted at the time of the interview, or should I send some of that in first with my I-130?

3) I have a cover letter for everything and have my documents all prepared...but how should I submit it to the consulate? Should all my papers be loose leaf? Stapled or paper clipped by form/section? Should all of this be in a manila folder?

4) Should my photocopies of my passport and birth certificate be in color, or can I submit black and white photocopies?

4) When I submit it all at the consulate, is there a place for them to store my backpack with my phone etc? When I went to the Beijing embassy for something before, all of the Chinese people in line got mad at me and told me I couldn't bring my phone or backpack and tried getting me to pay them to watch my stuff for me. I hadn't heard of this, so I told them I was a US citizen and I didn't have the same rules. Sure enough, in the end the embassy put my stuff in a locker there. Is Guangzhou similar? Will they let me store my stuff there? If not, what suggestions do you have? I'm in for a long day with flights and waiting time, so I'll need a backpack and my phone, but I'm going by myself so I don't have anyone to watch my stuff for me.

5) How long does an appointment to submit usually take, from scheduled time to walking back out the door?

I think, just maybe, these are my last questions (at this step of the process)....

1) Basically, your employer letter should state "To whom it may concern: (first name,last name) has been employed

full-time with the XYZ Company since 200_ as a (name of your job), and is an employee in good standing with an

annual salary of . Signed, John Doe, Supervisor (or whatever title)" The letter should be on company

letterhead.

2) Close to time of interview.

3) No staples, best practice would be two hole punched at top, and an ACCO fastener holding it together, if no fastener available, then a binder clip.

4) black and white is fine.

5) 9 years ago, they put my PDA in a locker when I visited the consulate in Guangzhou.

6) not sure, but I would plan on 2 to 3 hours.