Internet cost help

Hello, I need some help. I need internet access for about 25 days. Where we are now wants (China Tele-com ?) to charge us over 900 yuan. Something to do with being a new customer and they are charging us for a year. No , I can't just pay for 25 days worth. I went to the mobile phone store (China unicom) and asked them about tethering my phone to my computer. They said no can do. I asked about a "dongle( USB)" where I can just use computer to access the internet. They did not know what I was talking about. So I am now sitting in a cake shop that has Wi-Fi. Is this the best/cheapest way to gain access for my computer? Any suggestions? Thanks. Danb

Randy, I was at wo.com unicom store. And I can verified that a lot if not most got lost in the translation. Using the Chinese phone as a hot spot is something I heard about when they were trying to sell me a AT and T phone last week. In China they weren t giving me that pitch. I have last years phone. A Huawei smartphone So i need to see if I have that capabilties. Somewhere in my settings I am guessing. Thanks for the idea. I am guessing but 3gigabytes should be enough. thanks again. danb

Both Apple and Android offer tethering now ("Mobile Hotspot"). So, your phone is capable.

On one trip a friend gave me the sim from a second phone to use .... So that was an existing account. On the last trip, I though I would use T-Mobile who says free data in China. But, at the time, I did not have a pre-paid recurring plan over 1 GB/month, so that didn't work. A backwards way of saying T-Mobile could have helped you had you known.

I would keep asking around. But, if you are with somebody much of the time who has a phone, they can tether you and you can pay them for the data.

I appreciate you all,s help. 20 or so years ago my mobile phone was a large motorola phone that I kept under my car seat. For emergency purposes only. I think I was paying about ten bucks for that peace of mind. Fast foorward to today I use my mobiles so much more. As far as peace of mind, that is real questionable. Trying to type on my smartphone with my fat thumb is no fun. I found wanlan, happi sharing and datasharing. When we go back to the phone.stores today we can show them these pages. It should help. Thanks again. Fat thumb DANB.

Hello!!! Thank you to everyone for your help and ideas. When I am in China I usually get what they give me. I can ask for this or for that but often the end result may varies from the original design. I am using a USB dongle that T/R directly to the internet to send this post. I just happy to get back online with my computer at home. I got the dongle ( box says Wireless Data Card) for about 100 yuan and a 100 yuan for a Sim card that plugs into the dongle. When we got to the China Unicom store it was decided this is what I should get. I went, thinking that I was getting the data plan with a phone card that would make my mobile phone a hotspot. I thought that is what we had agreed on the night before. Like I said I usually get what they give me. It is ok. I am now connected again. I am happy. So much nicer. Next time I will try to find a store where they have some one who speaks English. In Nanning I have a friend who could have helped me but I am unfortunately not in Nanning at the moment. Thanks again. Danb